Wet suits - Key Largo in Mid October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all

Have a trip planned to Key Largo in October and trying to get geared up for it. I've never been to the keys so I'm not sure what to expect that late in the year.

What kind of exposure suits would you recommend for that time of year? I don't get cold quickly but don't want to take the chance of going unprepared with just a 3mm shorty.

Thanks for your input!

I get cold fairly easily, and I was comfortable in the Keys in a 3mm full suit in mid-November last year. I would have to look up the water temps in my log, but I'm thinking they were at least in the high 70's or maybe around 80º. By December I was chilly in the 3mm full and went to a 5mm full. This was for one-hour dives, either two or four per day.

Based on that, and the fact that you say you don't get cold easily, I would think that you would be comfortable in a 3mm full suit. Not sure about a shorty.

To me a big difference between mid-November and say, late December (in addition to the water temperature cooling) is also that the air temperature is quite a bit cooler and it's getting darker/colder earlier. Since October is even earlier, I would think you would still be on the "warm side" of that equation (as I was in mid-November).

Of course it's all subjective (my usual buddy is fine or at least okay in a 3mm fullsuit even in December), but this gives you something to go on, anyway.

I notice that local Floridians tend to dress warmer at all times of the year; if I'm in a skin, they are in a 3mm; if I'm in a 3mm they are in a 5mm, etc. Even though I am a "coldie."

It's still summer in south Florida and the Keys in October. A 3mm shorty, Farmer John bottom or full suit should take care of it unless you are exceptionally sensitive to the water temps at other times.

i'm wearing a 5mm by the end of october(i chill easily), having said that, most of my dive biddies are comfy in a 3mm. either way i highly suggest a full suit instead of a shorty and consider a hood(even just a cheap lycra hood they sell @ divers direct for around 8$) to protect against the occasional jellyfish(moons still thick as of yesterday), hydroids, fire corals and sun exposure when diving here,,,

reefman
key largo

Call the Dive Ops you are diving with in Largo area, speak to a rep about the water temp, and judge from there. A 3mm full suit should be suitable. Enjoy your trip.:wink:

Thanks for all the input!

Truth be told I'm kind of looking for an excuse to get a new 3mm wetsuit to fill out my diving wardrobe so I think I'll get one just to be on the safe side. I'll take my skin suit along also, just in case.

I am really looking forward to my first trip to Florida! Woot! :D

Be careful, you might just never leave...

Be careful, you might just never leave...

Yeah, I hear that.

The beach and reefs are a long way away from where I call home and quite often I can hear them calling me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom