Wetsuit and drysuit maintenance and repair book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see Steven Lindblom has put out a new book through Airspeed press and was curious if anyone has picked up a copy of it yet? Did it live up to the reputation of other airspeedpress books? Any chance it has sources for harder to find parts (like zippers etc)...

http://www.airspeedpress.com/divesuit.html

I've got all of their other books and have found them to be very enjoyable/informative reading, so I'll probably pick this one up as well.

So comments/reviews anyone?

Aloha, Tim

I got my copy in the mail 3 days ago, and true to form for Airspeed Press publications I had a hard time putting it down. Written in a very easy style, just as the divelight book was, with just enough humor and lots of practical information.

While the emphasis is on drysuits (lets face it, they have more parts, care and problems to deal with) there was quite a bit on wetsuits as well. I would guess that 80% of the book dealt with drysuit specific issues and the remainder with wetsuits.

Mr. Lindblom covered a wide variety of subject, from proper fitting and sizing of an exposure suit to cleaning, care and storage. As well as a section on quick field repairs to get through/on the dive for the day. One whole section was dedicated to glue, adhesive and tapes ... I think the subtitle should have read "more than you've ever thought you needed to know" it was very helpful as I didn't realize there were so many different types of glues and adhesives each with it's own place in exposure suit repair. I was glad to read that "in a pinch DAP" contact cement will work as I had just asked this question here on SB a week ago.

Of course there were also very detailed instructions for replacing seals, zippers and valves of different types and manufacturing variations. The directions appear to be very simple to follow, and 1 seal replacement would easily pay for the book over sending it back to the factory for work.

Aloha and congratulations to Steve Lindblom and Airpseed press on another great book.

Tim

If you are contemplating any modifications to your existing suit, or looking at picking up a drysuit I'd say this volume is well worth the price. For wetsuit owners, it's nice, but I would have a hard time putting it in the same category of "essential" as I would for drysuit owners.

Thanks for the review, Tim. Especially in view of my recent drysuit woes, sounds like something I definitely ought to own.

Tim,

Thanks for your post... Is there any info about DUI Zipseal repair on the book?

kidspot:
I got my copy in the mail 3 days ago, and true to form for Airspeed Press publications I had a hard time putting it down. Written in a very easy style, just as the divelight book was, with just enough humor and lots of practical information.

While the emphasis is on drysuits (lets face it, they have more parts, care and problems to deal with) there was quite a bit on wetsuits as well. I would guess that 80% of the book dealt with drysuit specific issues and the remainder with wetsuits.

Mr. Lindblom covered a wide variety of subject, from proper fitting and sizing of an exposure suit to cleaning, care and storage. As well as a section on quick field repairs to get through/on the dive for the day. One whole section was dedicated to glue, adhesive and tapes ... I think the subtitle should have read "more than you've ever thought you needed to know" it was very helpful as I didn't realize there were so many different types of glues and adhesives each with it's own place in exposure suit repair. I was glad to read that "in a pinch DAP" contact cement will work as I had just asked this question here on SB a week ago.

Of course there were also very detailed instructions for replacing seals, zippers and valves of different types and manufacturing variations. The directions appear to be very simple to follow, and 1 seal replacement would easily pay for the book over sending it back to the factory for work.

Aloha and congratulations to Steve Lindblom and Airpseed press on another great book.

Tim

If you are contemplating any modifications to your existing suit, or looking at picking up a drysuit I'd say this volume is well worth the price. For wetsuit owners, it's nice, but I would have a hard time putting it in the same category of "essential" as I would for drysuit owners.

hoosier:
Tim,

Thanks for your post... Is there any info about DUI Zipseal repair on the book?

The book covers Zipseals on page 17. The author does not appear to be terribly impressed by them.

Peter

Thanks for your info though.. Any more specific info...

Does it show the method to replace the seal on Zipseal or just general maintenance?

Thanks in advance,

pdoege:
The book covers Zipseals on page 17. The author does not appear to be terribly impressed by them.

Peter

Tim,
Got to Thank you,Great book had to get it,just one fix or equipment save/repair and its paid for!
Brad
Dive safe!

Hoosier, He does not say anything specifically about replacement of zip seals that I found. He does state that you should keep the old rings when replacing seals as you can put new seals or gloves on them and have a backup set without the high cost. And it appears that his major complaint about zip seals is their cost, not their convenience. Partly because seals go bad in storage, so it's no necessarily a good idea to have a complete extra set sitting around rotting at the price of zipseals.

moneysavr - I agree, one new thing learned to help keep you out of the shop pays for the book :)

Aloha, Tim

As always kidspot, exellent info. Thansk!

kidspot:
Hoosier, He does not say anything specifically about replacement of zip seals that I found. He does state that you should keep the old rings when replacing seals as you can put new seals or gloves on them and have a backup set without the high cost. And it appears that his major complaint about zip seals is their cost, not their convenience. Partly because seals go bad in storage, so it's no necessarily a good idea to have a complete extra set sitting around rotting at the price of zipseals.

Aloha, Tim

That's exactly what I thought.. So, I try to get the old seal as many as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom