wetsuit buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MT_Dweller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings all…I’m in the process of calculating the amount of lift I will need from a wing for a cold water bp&w setup. I called Tobin the other day, and the first thing he asked me was the buoyancy of my wetsuit (since I dive wet), I have an XL Aqualung Solafx 8/7 mm. Typically I would go to one of the training sessions run by my local shop at the community swimming pool, throw some weights on a belt, and toss in the pool to get the weight to sink the suit. Unfortunately the shop owner is on a trip, and they will not have the pool session for another two weeks….I have a large selection of weights for weight training, iron and bumper plates in all sizes down to .25 lb fractional plates. I also have a hot tub…so I took the wetsuit, rolled it into a tight ball and hung weights off of it till I sank the suit. I tried to get all air out of the suit, but with it tightly wrapped not sure if I got all of it out. It took about 32 lbs of weight to sink the suit (in 102 F fresh water)…does this seem like a lot of weight for an 8/7 suit? Should I hold off and check again in the pool with a loose suit and lead weights? Or does this sound in the right ball park? The suit is really stretchy and also has a pad on the back that could increase the buoyancy…

you didn't mention the size but it is possible it took that much especially if it is brand new. unroll it and put it in a mesh bag if you have one or one of the reusable shopping bags that should get a bit more air out of it. 25lbs should be closer to the ballpark but if it is a xxl suit it could very well take 32lbs

Its an XL size, and very new, only used on a couple dives, none to any real depth...I agree the 32 lbs sounded high

Not at all my 3mm farmer john is 19#
Did tobin tell you how what and why he needed the numbers?

Sounds like you will be -25-10-7=-42 heavy at depth with full tank. That means about a 50# wing.

Greetings all…I’m in the process of calculating the amount of lift I will need from a wing for a cold water bp&w setup. I called Tobin the other day, and the first thing he asked me was the buoyancy of my wetsuit (since I dive wet), I have an XL Aqualung Solafx 8/7 mm. Typically I would go to one of the training sessions run by my local shop at the community swimming pool, throw some weights on a belt, and toss in the pool to get the weight to sink the suit. Unfortunately the shop owner is on a trip, and they will not have the pool session for another two weeks….I have a large selection of weights for weight training, iron and bumper plates in all sizes down to .25 lb fractional plates. I also have a hot tub…so I took the wetsuit, rolled it into a tight ball and hung weights off of it till I sank the suit. I tried to get all air out of the suit, but with it tightly wrapped not sure if I got all of it out. It took about 32 lbs of weight to sink the suit (in 102 F fresh water)…does this seem like a lot of weight for an 8/7 suit? Should I hold off and check again in the pool with a loose suit and lead weights? Or does this sound in the right ball park? The suit is really stretchy and also has a pad on the back that could increase the buoyancy…

Finally got to the pool to measure the bouyancy....took 26 lbs to sink it with no air in. I must have trapped a bunch in when I rolled it up to check in the hot tube

Back
Top Bottom