Wetsuit comparisons Solafx vs Nova Scotia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to buy my first wetsuit for new england water and i'm considering these two.
I've been wearing a rental SolaFx (8/7mm) and I like it for the stretchiness and warmth but I dont like the hood-attached style very much.

Has one tried the scubapro Nova Scotia(7.5/6.5mm) ? Any complaints or comments?
Which one would you recommend between these two?
Any other recommendations welcomed, too! (I dive from May-Oct: water temp: 45F - 68F. I don't like cold but also don't like drysuit - too bulky!)

Edit: I've a small and short body frame (120 lbs , 5'2)

I'll add this: 7mm Deep 6 Wetsuit to the discussion if you're an M L or XL. Pockets, warm, and zips make it such that there's little water flow in and out of the suit. Take the savings and add a new Waterproof 5/10mm or K1 8mm hood.

8mm wetsuits are a lie, get a drysuit! :coffee:

Seriously though, 45F is pretty cold to be diving wet. I did use the SolAfx for 50 some-odd dives in the water here, which is about 50F-55F. It worked, but I ended up buying a drysuit and am a lot happier now. Not really sure what you mean on the bulk, care to elaborate? I do need a few extra pounds of lead to dive dry vs wet, but the improved exposure protection is well worth it to me. If you've never dived a drysuit, see if a local shop will let you try one, or if they offer a course. I suspect you'll find that the bulk isn't much of an issue, but YMMV.

I do not have first-hand experience with the Nova Scotia, but like you said, it looks pretty similar to the SolAfx except without a hood. If I were trying to choose between the two of them, I'd go for whichever one fit my body more closely, since a good fit will make more of a different than anything else. If both suits have a size that fits you great, I'd lean slightly toward the SolAfx, with the expectation that the integrated hood should be a bit warmer.

I dove my solafx in water as cold as high 30's farenheit. Great suit.

Switched to drysuit, definitely warmer especially on deep stuff, but sometimes I miss the simplicity of diving wet.

. Not really sure what you mean on the bulk, care to elaborate? I do need a few extra pounds of lead to dive dry vs wet,.

I meant I feel it’s harder to maneauver and swim in a dry suit (some kind of drag)
. And as a personal preference, I like diving because I like water. Water should be wet :D

Haha, fair enough, I like getting wet too, especially in the tropics. Diving locally, it got to the point where the cold was the limiting factor... When we started turning dives with plenty of gas / NDL time due to the cold, that was drysuit time for me. If you aren't at that point while diving wet, more power to you! Maybe you're tougher than me and will never feel the need for one :)

I'm looking to buy my first wetsuit for new england water and i'm considering these two.
I've been wearing a rental SolaFx (8/7mm) and I like it for the stretchiness and warmth but I dont like the hood-attached style very much.

Any other recommendations welcomed, too! (I dive from May-Oct: water temp: 45F - 68F. I don't like cold but also don't like drysuit - too bulky!)

Scubapro Nova Scotia won't last. The T-zips begin to wear around the 200 dive mark and leaks; plus the glue comes unstuck. The hood begins to crumble from the inside. The second sleeve on the arm that keeps water out, tears on the edges. Otherwise it's a warm suit, fits well.
Aqualung SolaFx is difficult to get out of and I've seen rips in the hood from doing so. I would try the Deep 6, 7 mm as suggested.

If you want a warm 7mm without an attached hood, look at the Bare wetsuits with the Celiant lining. Really does keep you really warm. I have regular buddy who has both the SolAfx and a Bare Reactive. It was a toss up as to what he liked more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom