Wetsuit for Cozumel in mid-March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I just got back from a week diving in Coz in a new 5-4-3 and I felt just barely warm enough in that suit by the end of the week's diving. Sounds like the temps in mid-march won't be materially different than they were this last week.

In planning for thermal protection, you wantto plant to be comfortable on your LAST dive of the week, not just your first. Which is why it’s important to take into account (1) how long will your dives be? Are you a fan of the 75-90 minute dives available with the extra large tanks, or are you a 45 minute dive kind of person? (2) How many dives a day will you be doing? Two A.M. dives, then off to lunch and siesta? Or right back in the water for dives 3 and 4? (3) How many days in a row will you dive? 3 days then a day off? Or every day you can?

A lot of people can give you good advice on how to be comfortable on your FIRST day of diving. But heat loss is cumulative, and builds up over time. The trick is to still be warm on your LAST day of diving.

It is easier to get cooler at depth than it is to get warmer, and, for me at least, getting chilled on a dive completely ruins it. My advice is to err on the side of warmth.

On my first trip to Cozumel I wore a 3 mm shorty. I found that I was chilled after almost every dive. For subsequent trips I have been wearing a full 3 mm suit. I am usually good for the first dive, but sometimes get chilled during the second dive. I find one of the contributors to getting chilled can be exposure to the breeze while travelling between dive sites. Even if it is warm / hot out, I usually put on a sweater to warm up my body core while in transit between sites. Last trip I started using a rash guard as an extra layer and found that it helped keep the core a bit warmer.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

@ Divegoose... This is the best $20 I ever spent. I used to think beanies were for girls and sissies but as I got older and started getting chilled more easily I learned the power of the tropic beanie. I notice most DM's that have gotten beyond their younger macho years seem to wear beanies or full hoods. Note: I did need to heat a nail up and poke a hole in the top so it would vent trapped air.

XS Scuba 2 mm Tropic Beanie

@ Divegoose... This is the best $20 I ever spent. I used to think beanies were for girls and sissies but as I got older and started getting chilled more easily I learned the power of the tropic beanie. I notice most DM's that have gotten beyond their younger macho years seem to wear beanies or full hoods. Note: I did need to heat a nail up and poke a hole in the top so it would vent trapped air.

When I start getting cold in 80°+ water, the first thing I will buy is a beanie. Preferably, a goofy looking one

I have the goody beanie that looks like a bad 1930s football helmet. I like it better than the full hood as I can hear better.

I have the goody beanie that looks like a bad 1930s football helmet. I like it better than the full hood as I can hear better.

I can't stand full hoods... I could never find one that didn't feel like I was sticking my head in a vise regardless of whatever size they claimed to be and the face opening always seemed too small and seemed like it would screw with my mask seal. Basically, if the water is so cold that a 5MM and tropic beanie doesn't do the job I need to find warmer waters. About 78-79 degree water is my limit these days as I'm not about to move up to a 7MM suit and load on more lead.

This December was my first time diving a 5MM after 15 years of diving the same 3MM (wasn't much left of that suit). I had to load on 24 lbs of lead to get down the first few days that new 5MM but after several dives it got squeezed a bit and I was down to 18 lbs. Steve with 3P's was very helpful and told me to start shedding weight and start fining way down from the surface so the suit would compress enough and from there I would be able to start sinking after reaching about 15'. It was a good learning experience - I learned I don't need to carry enough weight to sink from the surface, just enough to hold at the 15' safety stop with a low tank at the end of a dive.

Have to say I am a big fan of the 5MM with the beanie in December as I could dive two 60-75 minute dives and never felt chilled while some with less and no beanies would be huddled in their long boat coats shivering during the SI and after the 2nd dive. Being chilled absolutely sucks. For me that full 5MM with a tropic beanie felt like I was laying in bed under my down comforter. Of course, there always seems to be some Canadian with antifreeze for blood who jumps in with just a swimsuit on never gets chilled.

Clicked on the link, and then checked what the cost of shipping would be - it was more than the cost of the beanie. :confused:

Contacted my LDS to see if they were doing an order from XS Scuba, and if so could they order one for me. Turns out they have a few in stock, so I can get a beanie locally before I head to Cozumel.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose :)

I wore a 3 mm for a week of diving. If it dried off before the next day of diving it was great. If not, get a plastic bag and use it as follows. Cheapest way I ever got warm on a dive boat was to get a large plastic garbage bag ( pack it in your dive bag), cut a hole for my head, and slip it over me. No wind from changing dive sites, except for my head, (dry it off). Warning, steam may come out of the bag if you wear it too long.

Back
Top Bottom