Wetsuit for December and for April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I know that a drysuit is prob the best answer, but I am just wondering. For December and for April, in KY, is a 7mm still good? I just can't manage the money for a drysuit yet.

Haven't ever dove in Kentucky specifically. I have personally dove the Gulf of Maine in the winter with water temps around ~40-42'F in a 7MM. It is NOT a pleasant experience, but if it's what you've got then it'll do you for one dive (There's just absolutely no freaking way I could ever have got back in). Out here in SoCal people somehow dive 7MM all winter long. Personally I think they're nuts. But they make it work... so, you've got a shot.

As you say, the drysuit is the right tool.

It really boils down to your personal tolerance of the cold. I've dove wetsuit year round my first couple of years. It is certainly possible, though the dives may be a bit shorter. I used to keep a couple of Thermos bottles full of hot- as- I- could- stand water to pour down the suit just before the dives. Also consider the environment you'll be diving. You may want some kind of heated shelter, even if its only enough to knock the chill of the air. It also stops the wind, which can be brutal. Every little bit helps. You might also look into a semi dry suit. A little more cost than a regualr wet suit, but cheaper than a drysuit, but the extra seals really do a good job of stopping the water from flushing in & out, keeping warmer longer. Hope that helps you out.

Agreed with everything Tammy has said. The thermos thing helps.

I stop diving wet the first week in Nov. Start back in late March on warm days. The sun helps alot. I use an 8 mil with lavacore and hood and heavy gloves.I keep my dives short when the water is that cold. 20 minutes or so.

A farmer john would be preferable to just a 7 mil full. Ya have 13 mil or so around your torso.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom