Wetsuit for Sydney Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred Maranhao

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone!

I am moving to Sydney next month and would love to dive all year around (whenever possible). I own a Mares Flexa Therm Semi-Dry wetsuit, it's 6.5mm neoprene. I also own 5mm gloves, hood and boots (with additional 2mm neoprene socks, if necessary).

I usually don't feel cold, can walk around in jeans and t-shirt when it's 5 degrees celsius air temperature.

I know cold is person-specific, but do you guys think my current exposure kit is enough for winter dives in Sydney or should I add a 4-5mm over-shorties or maybe a internal vest?

Cheers!

Hi Fred,

A 6.5mm is probably ok for Sydney of winter with hood and gloves. I'm diving a 5mm semi at the moment with hood and gloves, water temp last week was 19c at 20m depth offshore, the bays are often a 1-2c warmer.

I'm expecting it to drop another 3c by July. I'm looking to wear my 3mm shorty over the top to insulate my core, and add neo socks to my boots.

Summer water temps are usually 21-24c so it's usually just my 5mm without the hood.

There is great diving around Syd both shore and boat. DM Guided shore dives are usually free through local shops, byo gear or hire, boat dives through shops are around $110 for a double dip plus gear hire......... And no tipping needed!

Last edited:
If you don't feel the cold you may actually find you are over dressed. I find a Sharkskin vest under my 3 mil with sharkskin socks and hood keep me comfy here in winter. Summer I swap the 3 mil for a full sharkskin over the vest with hood and socks. I find light gloves work fine year round here.

I certainly wouldn't worry about getting any more thermal protection until you "test the water" here. The key is to maintain a constant temperature that is comfortable for you. You don't want to be overheated before you get to the entry then cool off to much too quickly. We mostly do shore dives locally and save the $ for boat dives and dive trips away. There are heaps of brilliant shore dives here and a number of shops that organize having DM led shore dives.

There is great diving around Syd both shore and boat. DM Guided shore dives are usually free through local shops, byo gear or hire, boat dives through shops are around $110 for a double dip plus gear hire......... And no tipping needed!

We mostly do shore dives locally and save the $ for boat dives and dive trips away. There are heaps of brilliant shore dives here and a number of shops that organize having DM led shore dives.

That's great news! A few questions (off-topic) on this matter:

1) Do they offer DM Guided Shore Dives even through the winter? I saw their calendar on Abyss/Frogkick and I see no dives on June... Maybe it's just not up to date.
2) Do they do 1 or 2 dives from shore? Reason I ask is because I dive Sidemount, so I would be renting 2 tanks and would love to use both, otherwise I might end-up "monkey-diving".
3) I won't be driving at the beginning (won't have a car yet). How would the gear rental work? Could they arrange the transfer of the gear? My wife dives as well, but she only has regulator, all other gear will have to be rented.

I'll probably be in Sydney in June, so I'll drop you a message and we can arrange a dive together!

Cheers!

Last edited:
That's great news! A few questions (off-topic) on this matter:

1) Do they offer DM Guided Shore Dives even through the winter? I saw their calendar on Abyss/Frogkick and I see no dives on June... Maybe it's just not up to date.
2) Do they do 1 or 2 dives from shore? Reason I ask is because I dive Sidemount, so I would be renting 2 tanks and would love to use both, otherwise I might end-up "monkey-diving".
3) I won't be driving at the beginning (won't have a car yet). How would the gear rental work? Could they arrange the transfer of the gear? My wife dives as well, but she only has regulator, all other gear will have to be rented.

I'll probably be in Sydney in June, so I'll drop you a message and we can arrange a dive together!

Cheers!
Frogdive Willoughby does dives at Shelly. It is the site we normally use if we are diving with someone who comes to dive with us. Good spot to test the water and check skills for decisions about other dive site that may be appropriate Snorkel Safari in Bunnerong Rd Matriville near Bare Island LaPeruse is another good option. There is Dive Centre Manly Prodive Manly. I haven't dealt with the last two at any level but can report good service at the first two. They are normally happy to tee you up with someone.

I've been a bit unwell the last while but hope to be back in the water in June all things going well.

I dive on the south side with Abyss, so can only comment on their services.

Abyss offer DM led shore dives every Fri, Sat and Sun. They only post the schedule about 6 weeks ahead for shore dive locations, but even that is "flexible" based on weather. They will always find somewhere to dive. Some Dive locations are dependent on tides being in the right place, like The Leap (late incoming tide) and Shiprock (either side of a slack tide)

They always have the DMs (usually there is 2 DMs, sometimes more) there for 2 dives of around 40-45min each with a 60min SI (usually supply soup and rolls for a snack), it's up to you whether you want to do 2 dives or 1.

They don't "provide" transport, but will try to buddy you up for a lift with someone else who is going out from their shop on the day (I've taken a few people in my car before).

Pickup gear is from their shop on the morning of the dive and return that afternoon. People usually pickup gear between 930am and 10, everyone leaves shop for dive location at 10am.

The tanks they hire are 10.5ltr, they will hire everything to you if you need. 2 tanks, BCD and regs is around $50-60AUD for the day.

Dive 2000 in Neutral Bay do a shore dive every Saturday pretty much without fail. If the weather is bad they usually dive at Clifton Gardens (inner Harbour). Hire gear tanks etc are available and always DM lead (if you want to be DM lead that is).

I dived last weekend (double dive) with a lavacore undershirt and a 5mm wetsuit, 2mm gloves. Didn't even feel a hint of cold, I have a semi dry and to be honest I don't really feel the need to dig that out at any time of the year, its unused kit.

They don't "provide" transport, but will try to buddy you up for a lift with someone else who is going out from their shop on the day (I've taken a few people in my car before).
That's great to hear! I am not sure how soon I will have a car, but I am sure I would like to start diving the first weekend in Sydney! :p

Dive 2000 in Neutral Bay do a shore dive every Saturday pretty much without fail.
Great! Dive 2000 added to my favorites! :p

I dived last weekend (double dive) with a lavacore undershirt and a 5mm wetsuit, 2mm gloves. Didn't even feel a hint of cold, I have a semi dry and to be honest I don't really feel the need to dig that out at any time of the year, its unused kit.
Well, I hope the 6.5mm Semi-dry isn't an overkill. I don't want to spend money in another suit any time soon...

Funny that I was reading some (really) old posts in DiveOz forum and people there suggested some other guy who was going to Sydney that he should get a drysuit because it's pretty cold. One member even suggested the Northern Diver kit which has a semi-dry wetsuit and a overshorties for winter! That's the reason I asked for the overshorties in this forum.

Guess I will really have to test the water and hope my suit isn't too hot! Otherwise I will have to keep letting water in, to cool my core.

Cheers, Fred.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom