Wetsuit for woman with large breasts... Serious question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harquah

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm having difficulty completing my certification because all of the wetsuits I've tried have been so tight across my chest that I can't relax or breathe easily. I realize that in the long term, I need to get a custom suit, but right now, I'm just trying to get certified. Should I just get a suit that will fit my upper body and is far too big for my lower body? Thank you for your advice.

I am a guy so probably cannot understand but maybe you can ask your instructor. Also, what is the water temperature of where your checkout dives will be. Maybe you could get through with a thin wetsuit or skin if the temp is in the 70s or higher. Good luck.

I'm having difficulty completing my certification because all of the wetsuits I've tried have been so tight across my chest that I can't relax or breathe easily. I realize that in the long term, I need to get a custom suit, but right now, I'm just trying to get certified. Should I just get a suit that will fit my upper body and is far too big for my lower body? Thank you for your advice.

One of my daughters has had trouble finding a wetsuit that is large enough in the bust while still fitting at the waist. She ultimately went to several different local dive shops and tried on suits until she found one that would work. There is variation in the cut from one manufacturer to the next.

You will have more problems with thicker suits (e.g.7mm) than thinner ones since the thicker suits do not stretch as easily. You could perhaps complete your certification in warm water where you can use a thinner wetsuit, or no wetsuit at all.

Another alternative to explore is two-piece suits. You may be able to wear a larger size top with a smaller size bottom to get the fit you need.

Without knowing your body type, I will just throw out that sometimes I have good luck putting a woman in a men’s suit. Usually 2 piece, where I can mix and match sizing.

I am a guy but I am totally in your situation. Chest heavy in relation to the rest of the body. I always get custom suits but prior to that, I would try to buy the stretchiest suit possible. Interestingly surfing wetsuits were fulfilling my purpose more than diving wetsuits. These were designed with more stretch as surfers often do acrobats. The problem was that diving wetsuits were stiffer because they were meant to handle compression at depth. Surfing suits would compress a lot more and after a 75 or so dives they would lose shape. If you are seeking a temporary fix then the stretchiest / surfing wetsuit will help you until you get your custom suit made. Nothing like a custom suit!

DD/E-cup diver reporting in. If you have to make some compromises about the fit of your suit, I would prioritize finding one that isn't too loose on the rest of your body so that you have enough thermal protection.

In my experience, Henderson NeoSport womens'-cut suits (inexpensive, but good value for money) and Waterproof suits (not cheap, but very well-designed for the money) can handle a lot of boob.

Paging @Marie13 for her further thoughts on the matter.

I have the opposite problem where my hips are really big and my bust is small (Bish), and I'm short so larger suits have to be rolled up. If the water is warm enough for you to handle water gaps, I'd say try to go a size up if possible. You'd likely need to roll the wrists and ankles up and prepare yourself for water gaps. You may also be able to just leave the top of the suit partially unzipped if your BC will keep the rest in place. I've heard good things about the Henderson hyperstretch but I've never tried one on (their size chart had me in three different categories nowhere near each other, but hopefully you'll have better luck). Different manufacturers have very different sizing, and some also have special variants for people who don't fit normal sizing. My personal suit is one of those, but it took me a lot of time to find it. I'd say just spend a day or so trying on suits at your LDS and try to find one that fits, especially if you're diving in cold water. Good luck!

Guy here too but try getting a suit that is hyperstrech or has properties that make them stretch more. Some wetsuits are made like that. Best of Luck. And welcome to ScubaBoard.

Back
Top Bottom