Wetsuit needed - Thin with ankle and wrist zippers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adamo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I need a wetsuit which is thin, flexible and very easy to put on and especially remove due to my lumbar problems. Contortions only make it worse ;-)
Tried a Lycra bodysuit with my current 2/3 but found it unsatisfactory.
Learned from previous posts that shop in TX, Terrapin, can install the zippers but I live In Canada and would prefer to avoid shipping/custom logistics nightmares.
Thanks for help!
Adam

I actually went with a thicker wetsuit to help me with my lower back problems. Previously dove a BARE Velocity 3/2mm (which at the time I bought it had no zippers on wrist or ankle), recently moved up to a BARE Velocity 5/4mm (has zippered ankles, which make a world of difference). I prefer the thicker suit as the legs stay more aligned when I am trying to put it on (I also have a leg that is partially numb due to Sciatica), and the thickness through the middle gives better support to my lower back (that I injured when I was in my 20's).

I wear a Bare 3mm front zip farmer john. Has ankle zips and is extremely easy to get on and off. I sometimes pair it with a shirt of some sort—either a skin, or if I want more warmth a front zip Sharkskin shirt—both easy on/off. All this for temperatures from low 70s to low 80s.

You might also consider separate tops and bottoms - something farmer john style if you need something on the heavier side, or just tops and pants. I only dive tropical anymore and have moved to sharkskin/lavacore pants and a jacket with a full front zipper. It might require less contortion for you than a one piece suit. I'm plenty agile, but still enjoy the ease of throwing this on. I don't know if any of those come with arm/leg zippers but could probably be added to those too.

Go with a shorty? Maybe custom?

I currently have a full 3mm suit with arm and leg zippers. Like all my suits it is custom fit. It is much harder to don and doff than my previous custom 7mm shorty.

Think about the taper shape of your limbs. 3 inches above elbow and knee gives a suit that slides on and off very easily.

My next suit will be a another shorty.

Go with a shorty? Maybe custom?

I currently have a full 3mm suit with arm and leg zippers. Like all my suits it is custom fit. It is much harder to don and doff than my previous custom 7mm shorty.

Think about the taper shape of your limbs. 3 inches above elbow and knee gives a suit that slides on and off very easily.

My next suit will be a another shorty.
P.s. I used Attico in Toronto for several suits. He retired. My last suit was from a Florida provider - never again. I have found a supplier located just outside of Quebec City that I will try for my next suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom