wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jas77

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a quick question on wetsuits. I have a farmer john wetsuit and I'm a little confused on how you determine the thickness of it. Its a scubamax farmer john. On the first layer I put on, there is nothing written on it at all. On the outer layer on the arm is a 3.0 mm. Would this be considered a 3/2 mm wetsuit, or a 5/3 wetsuit? I'm thinking that since it already has 3mm on the outside arms, legs, then the extra on the torso/trunk would make it 5.0 mm there? Thanks!!!

Also....My last dives in the Bahamas last January I needed about 20-22 lbs of weight. I am going down to the Bahamas this coming monday and I'm thinking I will just bring my new .5 lycra body suit. About how much less weight will I need now if not using the above mentioned farmer john wetsuit?

It sounds like it is a 3mm Farmer John.

There are wetsuits that use thinner material on the arms for better flexibility and thicker material on the torso for more warmth, and this is what would becalled a 5/3mm suit. On these suits you can feel the difference in thickness between arms and torso. If the thickness feels the same between arms and torso on your suit it is a 3mm suit.

On a farmer john they do not add up or count the double coverage over the torso, although it does add warmth.

DA Aquamaster nailed it, it is a 3mm for the reasons staed.

Scuba Max doesn't make any multi-thickness suits, the only items they make with 2 different thickness material are the hoods & hooded vests. (good suits, one of the better deals for the dollar)

Not sure what to say about the weight thing, it's best to just jump in the water & dial it in as if you were snorkeling nekkid, as a Lycra suit will have little buoyancy.
The Bahamas are good for that, lots of places to just hop in.

Back
Top Bottom