wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope I read this wrong, but if the intention is to purchase from leisurepro, going to the LDS to try it on is exactly why so many LDS owners dislike online buyers. If you're taking advantage of the LDS services, they deserve your business.

No this is correct. The LDS I go to already has plenty of my money. They have said to try them on if Im buying online. The problem living in Hawaii is that the LDS's charge at least double more often than not, more than double for the stuff they have, this is pricey even with the 10% discount I get. Locals call it tourist pricing. It happens in a lot of stores around town.

thanks to everyone for there feedback. Kathylee thanks for the LP link I didn't even look for scubapro wuitsuits online. I was under the impression that scubapro didn't authorize their items to be sold online. The scubapro everflex fits like a glove. which it sound like is the main goal.

Get the 5mm. It's more versatile in the long run and as you do more dives in a day you'll appreciate that little bit extra.

I've always been a big fan of O'Neill wetsuits. But's that just me.

BTW Any LDS worth their salt should match an online price for big ticket items as long as you don't quibble when buying the small stuff.

I switched from a shortie to a full suit for my warm water dives ever since I brushed against fire coral around the edge of a hatch in a wreck. :shakehead: Good protection from jellies, too......

I don't think you should worry about overheating down below in a 5mm - topside is another story.....

Congrats on AOW :D- Rescue is a great course - very worthwhile.....

The 5 mil would sure be nice right now, but it hasn't been this cold in the 10 years I've lived here, a fisherman we were talking with said the last time he's seen it this cold was '94. Typically it drops to 74/75 early in the year, then climbs to 81/82 by fall, last year it never got much above 79 for some reason (I had only a couple days of seeing 80 on the boat last year) and we're really feeling the cold now, it was around 71-ish a couple weeks back.

You left out a couple of things: gender, height and weight and you'd have your answer in a second.

If in doubt go heavy, but most average build or larger guys guys do fine in a 3 mil year round when water temps are typical, women might want more, average build or smaller women typically prefer a 5 except when it's warm. A hood can do wonders when it cools from January to March/April. The more you dive, the more thermal protection you'll want, most of the dive every day dive guides here end up in 5s or 7s or more down the line. I went with a 3 mil full for 7 years, jumped up to a 4/3 for this year and will be in a 5 come next winter, but I'm on the larger side.

One comment... the local dive shops aren't charging double, they're charging standard retail, usually MSRP. When I moved here from Oregon, I'd been all over Oregon, Washington and Northern California looking at gear and prices in Kona were the same, and in many cases better since there are 4-5 scuba retailers within a few miles of each other here. It might be double of what the warehouse wholesale to the public guys charge, but they're playing by different rules than a typical retailer. You'll find Hawaii/Kona type prices in nearly any dive store on the mainland, the tourists aren't getting overcharged by mainland retail standards here when it comes to scuba equipment.

Have fun.

I've always been a big fan of O'Neill wetsuits. But's that just me.

make that 2, We were looking for a wetsuit for my wife and you know for girls finding the right suit is a pain. She tried many shops and at least 10 different wetsuits and finally O'Neill with it's material could sit perfect on her. I was also impressed with the quality of the seams and material.

I paid 2.5 times as little for my Evo wetsuit but Evo is junk :D

I got have a 5mm Pinnacle that I love. It is worn down to 60 degrees. After 60 a hood is added. Dont worry about overheating underwater, you can always break the seal and let in more water to cool you off.

im 6'4" 245 male. Thanks steve have never really looked at water temps in kona before i started diving. I just knew the water was a little chillier in th sping than fall. Thought it was normal for the lows we have been having was 72 at 40' two weeks ago. my house get rather cold in the spring so i thought nothing of it. NOW you tell me it might get up to 80 in the water in the fall. however i think in the long run a 5mm will be more versitle than a 3mm. or maybe a 3mm with a hood like you said. Aaaargh decisions, decisions.

Also never been to any dive shops on the mainland so I just figured the higher prices than the internet were because of the usual tourist/shipping mark up we see. glad to know dive shops everywhere are gouging us. J/K please only a joke no need to get upset if you have a dive shop i find a lot of good deals in them and it really helps with my instant gratification problem.

Poor buoyancy control and thermal considerations aren't the only reasons to get a full suit. Even if you're perfect, sometimes things come and get you, or clumsy people push you into things, or the boat is banging around. Then there's the funny tan lines...

I have found that if you live in a hot climate the water temp affects you more than us Northerners. Just this January I was diving in the Upper Keys in 75/63 water in a 2mm shorty and a 2mm vest and was plenty warm. The local lady DM on the boat actually told me that she had on 15mm of neoprene to stay warm. Looked like a female Michelen Man. Some of them down there actually use dry suits. I lived in Honduras for a while and the locals were wearing jackets, going around with runny noses and colds, when the temperature was around 75-80 in December and January. They thought I was nutz for jumping in the water at CocaCola beach when they were all wrapped up BBQ'ing chicken and fish. Heard a lot of comments like "Crazy Gringo".

At 6'4" my guess if you're 215/220 and up you'll generally probably do fine with just a full 3 mil, maybe with a hood or a shorty or vest under the full suit if you're on the cool side. If you're on the slender side, say 200 or under, that 5 will be sounding pretty good 'til it warms up come mid-summer.

You might want to see if you can find a good deal on a 3 mil and also on a vest or shorty so you can just layer during the cooler seasons.

Man it's been cold. I've taken to wearing a 3 mil shorty under my 4/3 the last few weeks, it helps greatly.

As far as the pricing thing goes, I just wanted to set it straight that prices at dive shops here are generally in line with shops on the mainland.... it's not like walking down Ali'i drive or at the resorts and looking for overpriced trinkets or casual wear.

Aloha,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom