Wetsuit Recommendations??? - Help a bro out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got two Probe suits, the limbs are very long, their sizing seems, ot atleast was a bit limited. Works fine though.

I also have a Neptune, much better range of sizes, also got a pocket glued on. It had a stitching issue pretty quickly, I took it back to the shop and they had it resolved in a week or two, zero complaints.

Recently I've seen a lot of Fourth Element suits. On a trip I was in a 5mm Beuchat hire suit, worked fine, but my buddy was in a 3mm semi dry Proteus. If I was in the market for a 5mm wetsuit, that would be my first serious look. Much easier to don/doff, lighter to pack, not so cold to put back on for dive two.

sharkskin...perfect for those temps...

I love my Waterproof W4 5mm, but I’ve never worn anything else in that weight. Two layers at the cuffs, inner for under the gloves and boots, and zippered outer for over.

it is a little stiff compared to my wife’s Bare 5mm, but I love the knee pads and how warm I stay, even down to 55° F (with Neoskin and 2mm vest with 5mm attached hood, plus gloves and boots of course). And I should note, I hate getting cold in the water. To swim in a pool, it needs to be 85°+

I guess I just run hot, but Caribbean diving and Red Sea other than Jan-March I only dive in my waterproof 1mm Neoskins. Weigh nothing to travel Complete flexibility, sealskin interior, I throw a 3 mm 4th element Sharkskin hooded vest on top for night diving...I’ve never been cold and I’m never buoyant or wrestling into wetsuits like others...hell, you could probably sleep in them.

I have a 7mm waterproof and a 5 mm + 3 mm scuba pro...but I may wear those one trip a year in Galapagos etc...

Get one that fits. I've noticed small differences between brands

I agree with this, forget the make to a certain degree.

Mares suits seem to fit me off the rack and to some degree so do Fourth Element but I struggle to find a Waterproof suit that fits me properly at all.

If you would be interested in a 7 mil you might be lucky to get one from www.deep6gear.com. I have one and I’d wear it in 25 Cwater but I’m a wimp when it comes to cold temperature. Actually at 25 C I’d prefer my dry suit for multiple dives.

Now while you could spend a lifetime diving no deeper than 18 meters, you may skip some deeper dives if you change your mind.

when I started diving, I never thought I’d go tech. When I got into tec, I never thought I’d go CC. But I am in a small minority.

But for now, a 5 mil is probably best. I’m rambling as I’m in Greece and my almost one year old daughter is still on Seattle time.

I love my Waterproof W4 5mm, but I’ve never worn anything else in that weight. Two layers at the cuffs, inner for under the gloves and boots, and zippered outer for over.

it is a little stiff compared to my wife’s Bare 5mm, but I love the knee pads and how warm I stay, even down to 55° F (with Neoskin and 2mm vest with 5mm attached hood, plus gloves and boots of course). And I should note, I hate getting cold in the water. To swim in a pool, it needs to be 85°+

I agree with Jamin. I really like my Waterproof W4 as well. Looks like this company is a dealer. If close to you check them out.
TABATA AUSTRALIA PTY Ltd
PO Box 375
Rydalmere Business Centre
NSW 1701 Northmead
Australia
+61 2 9890 4555

Skip all the scuba suits and go with an open cell, two piece freediving suit. Makos are great suits for an awesome price, not sure if that price would hold up with shipping to Australia though. Yamamoto rubber is the best option.

I was really excited back in the early 2000's when the freediving and spearfishing suits were making lots of innovations. It was only a matter of time before the scuba suits caught on. It never really happened. Most scuba suits are the same as they were in the 90's- Make them comfortable to try on in the dive shop and they will sell. In water performance is secondary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom