Wetsuit size related to thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I’m new on the site and I’ve got a wetsuit problem that maybe you can help with. I’ve got a Mares trilastic 3/2 size 1, it fits well. I’ve found a bargain online for a 7/5, same size. It was a bargain because they don't produce that model anymore, and there was only size 1 available. I bought it and there is no way I can manage to put it on I struggled for 20 minutes and I can’t pull the legs up enough, the crotch sits a little above my knees. There’s plenty of fabric to pull up wrinkled at my ankles but I just can’t do it. Do you think that because the wetsuit is thicker I needed a size up? Thank you!

I have 2 Bare suits, same product line, one 3mm and one 7mm and they are definitely the same size. The fact that your Mares 7/5 does not fit seems to strongly suggest you need a different size. It's always possible your 3/2 is also a little small but the thin neoprene is stretchy enough to not notice

Thank you Sean. That's a bummer. The 3/2 seems the right size. I don't have a scuba stores near me so I can't go try another one on instead of buying online, and according to the measurements the size should fit :banghead:

All things being equal you will generally find a thicker suit harder to put on, a little harder. I don’t think your new suit is the right size, I have found this is pretty common for off the rack clothing of all types, wide variations in specifications.

I don’t think your new suit is the right size...

Sounds as if that is the case. Aside from cut, proportions, I have noticed over the years that the size tag on wetsuits, and other clothing, may have little to do with the actual size of the product. I believe that the quality control in China may have a lot to do with it.

I try on and buy wetsuits locally so I don't get into a problem with fit. It costs a bit more, but I haven't been disappointed.

Bob

I've only bought two suits, a Bare Reactive 5mm and a Lavacore full suit. I'm 5'7" and 150 pounds.

The Lavacore is a small and fits well according to their size chart.

I first bought a small Reactive based on their sizing chart but when I wore it a bit longer at home I realized it was way too tight on the wrists and ankles. My hands actually started to turn purple. I traded it for a medium which is still very tight on my wrists, but works great. According to their size chart I'm at the minimum weight for a medium and an inch too short. Even with the medium the seams leave impressions on my arms that last more than 30 minutes. I get almost no water intrusion and the suit works very well. I was just surprised that at my size I would need a medium...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom