Wetsuit solutions for those with neoprene allergies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merfman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all!

I'm allergic to my wetsuit, and every wetsuit I've tried. I've mined the posts here and mostly see "get a drysuit" as an answer.
Most of the posts I found are also pretty old, dating from 2001 to 2009 so I thought I'd poke the bear again.
I'm really not interested in going the drysuit route so I'm wondering if any latex allergy sufferers have found any wetsuit solutions?

On a recent trip to Roatan, I found out about a company that makes custom suits called Nemo Wetsuits -
Nemo diving & surfing wetsuits, custom made wetsuits

4 people on the trip had them and loved them. One lady diver had extreme latex allergies and said she's not had a
single problem with their suits. The price doesn't look too bad for a custom made suit and I've been
trying to contact them but they haven't (yet) answered my emails so that gives me pause.

So, anyone have another source, or hints on how to get Nemo to answer my emails?

Thanks in advance!

Happy bubbles,
Merf

It might be difficult but have you tried the phone number on Nemo's website? I think the time difference for you would be something like 14 hours but that might be more effective than email...

Nemo Wetsuits are based (and I believe they only have the one shop) in Bali. That right there is probably half the reason you haven't heard back from them (rubber time and all that). They do make fairly good quality wetsuits, a number of instructors I worked with had them. I just took a quick look at their website though and it looks like they only use neoprene (4 types) so I'm not sure how that's going to suit your allergy.

You could take a look at the Fourth Element Thermocline. It is supposed to act as a barrier between neoprene for those with allergies or can be worn as a traditional 3mm suit but it's neutrally bouyant.

Don't know if you've tried but there are a number of lycra first layers you could don before the wetsuit to minimize contact with the neoprene as well.

Good Luck.

Nemo Wetsuits are based (and I believe they only have the one shop) in Bali. That right there is probably half the reason you haven't heard back from them (rubber time and all that). They do make fairly good quality wetsuits, a number of instructors I worked with had them. I just took a quick look at their website though and it looks like they only use neoprene (4 types) so I'm not sure how that's going to suit your allergy.

You could take a look at the Fourth Element Thermocline. It is supposed to act as a barrier between neoprene for those with allergies or can be worn as a traditional 3mm suit but it's neutrally bouyant.

Don't know if you've tried but there are a number of lycra first layers you could don before the wetsuit to minimize contact with the neoprene as well.

Good Luck.

Thanks everyone...
I'm aware they're in Bali, the first email was sent 3 days ago. 14 hour time difference or not, I would have thought the email would have arrived by now.
I'm not sure how/why their neoprene is non-allergenic either, that was one of the questions that have gone unanswered. I only know that one of the divers
in the recent trip had bad allergies, used Nemo's suits and had zero problems.
I've also worn underliners with some success but donning a liner, then suit, then hooded vest is a PITA and gets old. I'm looking for convenience here, I don't want to spend my SI preparing for the next dive. :wink:
I've used and have a lycra underliner as well as a Lavacore. Just too much stuff to put on each and every dive... guess I'm just lazy. :wink:

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll be watching the thread and will post back if/when I hear from Nemo. Searching old posts, I see I'm not even close to
being the only one with this problem...

Have you tried a Lycra dive skin? It should keep almost or all the neoprene off of you skin with a little care when suiting up.

Hi all!

I'm allergic to my wetsuit, and every wetsuit I've tried. I've mined the posts here and mostly see "get a drysuit" as an answer.
Most of the posts I found are also pretty old, dating from 2001 to 2009 so I thought I'd poke the bear again.
I'm really not interested in going the drysuit route so I'm wondering if any latex allergy sufferers have found any wetsuit solutions?

Fourth Element makes a "Neutrally Buoyant" wet-suit that contains no neoprene. It's made from some sort of cloth.

Thermocline Neutrally Buoyant Wetsuit | Fourth Element

It's supposedly equivalent to a 3mm suit, although I've never tried it.

flots.

Last edited:
My wife and I just bought Forth Element based on two of our dive buddies that love theirs, will know more next week.

My wife and I just bought Forth Element based on two of our dive buddies that love theirs, will know more next week.

Can you please report back with any/all thoughts? This looks like a pretty valid option for me. I'm blessed with a dive buddy who refuses to dive in
"cold" water so I don't need much, something along the lines of a 2-3mm suit would be perfect. When it's cold (72-73 F LOL) I don't mind donning
the layers but would rather avoid that scenario when diving in places like Cozumel...

Delighted to find this discussion. I developed neoprene allergy from one year to the next and it took quite a few very horrible days of incessant itching post diving to figure out what it was.

Let me start by stating that neoprene allergy is not automatically the same as latex. I have no problem with latex at all, but any neoprene will turn my nights into days for the itch it causes. When I was tested, the clinic identified 'Diethylthiourea" as the allergen, which I believe is a compound used in the glue.

I have a drysuit now and I use a latex hoody to keep the neo hood off my skin, which works, but it has put a stop to all other water pursuits like canoeing, surfing etc etc.

If I could only find a suit that is not using this compound, it may all be solved.

Well, an update on my part of the discussion. Nemo never returned my emails so I decided until they're more responsive, their product is off the table for me. If anyone has positive results, I'd like to hear about them!
I dove Coz in June and wore my Lava Core and stayed as warm as I would in my 3mil so that's my answer for the moment. Should I need more in colder climes, I'll dive with the LC + layers.

Still hoping/looking for a better solution!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom