Wetsuit thickness for Egypt Nov-Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you are happy to pack along two wetsuits, I would stick with the 7 mm, particularly if you are looking at 3-4 dives per day. While you may be able to tolerate a couple of dives in a 5mm, you are likely to need some additional weight if you switch to the 7 mm. Unless you are comfortable making this adjustment on the fly, you may find it puts off your buoyancy for a dive or two.

During our LOB trip in late November a couple of years ago out of Marsa Alam, most of our group dove 5mm and were comfortable.

Lots of threads about wetsuit thickness and conditions, but as noted by @Searcaigh, it all boils down to personal choice.

I always recommend this as a good starting point (you'll have to convert temps from F to C): Scuba Wetsuit Thickness Guide: How to Match Your Wetsuit to the Water Temperature

I mostly dive in southern California; bottom temperatures on my dives usually range from about 13-20 C. I'm not especially cold-tolerant but I can handle a single dive up to about an hour in a 7mm wetsuit with hood at those temperatures, and a couple dives at the upper end of that range, especially if the air temperature is at least 25 C and it's sunny. But usually for repetitive dives I prefer a drysuit.

I brought my 7mm wetsuit on a LOB to Turks & Caicos in January, where the water was a steady 27 C and the air around 24-25 C, with lots of breezy, partly-cloudy days and an over-air conditioned cabin on the boat. I was very glad to have it, and several of the folks with only 3 or 5 mm suits got chilly after a few days of 5 dives per day.

As others have said, it's better to have more thermal protection than you need than not enough. When in doubt, round up.

ETA: As for which suit to buy, I would pick the one that fits you best. Different brands are cut differently; not all suits in the same size are the exact same shape.

. . . Underwater I was ok. Top side though it was quite windy and few times I felt the cold - thanks God my space on the boat was the inner most hence protected from the wind. . . .

Only one winter Red Sea trip for me so far, but I wore a drysuit to protect against chill from the wind on the Zodiac rides back to the liveaboard. The divers in wetsuits were shivering and grabbed towels and hot chocolate. The divers in drysuits went for Cokes.

There were some guys diving in drysuits in Dahab in the middle of June. I think a few of them do it year around. They said either a 7mm or a drysuit all the time.

There were some guys diving in drysuits in Dahab in the middle of June. I think a few of them do it year around. They said either a 7mm or a drysuit all the time.
With a drysuit you can vary the undergarments to handle the temperature.

When I was diving HMS Hermes a few years back with my tech buddies, most of us were in 5mm in 27C water temps as breathing trimix for over an hour reduces core temperatures quicker than non-helium gas mixes.

I had a procedure done on my leg. It couldn’t get wet. So, I had to dive 100% of the time for 4 years in a drysuit. I dove with only a Lycra shirt and pants during the summer months.

if we are able to return to a egypt this year, I am considering doing the same. But, I would have to have the pony bottle for the argon if I did any deep technical diving with it.

It can get pretty cold in the depths so if you are sensitive to cold like I am id recommend a 7mm or even dry.

But ultimately its up to the individual, I have a buddy that only dives a 2mm vest while I'm with a dry right next to him...

It boils down to a lot of variables but IMO in December/early January everything over 5mm would be a massive overkill unless having to keep the suit wet on you between dives in strong wind or something like that.
I just did a few days ago a shore dive to Million Hope, which consisted in snorkeling from the pier of Albatros Moderna hotel to the wreck site (about 350m in a relatively choppy sea) then 1 hour dive. Doing it in a worn out 2mm shorty (plus 3mm hood and 2mm socks and gloves) was no problem whatsoever, water temperature being 25.5 Celsius.

At this water temperature I wouldn't have any problem doing 2 dives in the 2mm if I get to dry myself and wear warm clothes for 30 mins or so.

However, last year in February in Sharm, with the water down to 23 Celsius I used a 5mm. My guess is the amount of body fat and the heart rate matter a lot when it comes to this temperature range (23 to 26 Celsius).

Being a "Warmduscher" and having done Egypt over Christmas for many years, I prefer a dry suit. It keeps you from feeling cold after 3 dives every day and it is really nice to be warm and dry when the wind pikcs up.
kind of an overkill dont you think ? XD

It boils down to a lot of variables but IMO in December/early January everything over 5mm would be a massive overkill unless having to keep the suit wet on you between dives in strong wind or something like that.
I just did a few days ago a shore dive to Million Hope, which consisted in snorkeling from the pier of Albatros Moderna hotel to the wreck site (about 350m in a relatively choppy sea) then 1 hour dive. Doing it in a worn out 2mm shorty (plus 3mm hood and 2mm socks and gloves) was no problem whatsoever, water temperature being 25.5 Celsius.

At this water temperature I wouldn't have any problem doing 2 dives in the 2mm if I get to dry myself and wear warm clothes for 30 mins or so.

However, last year in February in Sharm, with the water down to 23 Celsius I used a 5mm. My guess is the amount of body fat and the heart rate matter a lot when it comes to this temperature range (23 to 26 Celsius).
Welp, a lot of people said it depends on me so im gonna get both 5mm and 7mm and put it tp the test, gonna suffer with carrying too much weight but a man gotta know !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom