Wetsuit thickness for Maui in Summer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Porko83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone.
I'm doing 4 dives with Lahaina dives in June, at Molokini and Cathedrals (can't wait!!). I want to get an understanding of what people wear.
What have you worn/thickness at these spots during the Hawaiian summer? In Sydney the water is quite chilly and I usually wear a surf wetsuit 4/3 and I'm fine - while others get cold wearing a 5m with hoodie, and under top.

Do people dive with just a wetsuit top and board shorts? Or do I bring a 3/2 or 4/3 wetty?

I'm not renting a wetsuit because I know what people do in them lol.
BTW I'm bring all my own gear from Oz.

Thanks

I just dived in Waikiki in January, yes I know what people do in wetsuits and I used theirs hahaha, was a 3mm steamer and that was more than enough even overs , If you don't feel the cold spring suit or boardies will do..

Coastal Water Temperature Guide - at that time of year i'm in a t-shirt/boardshorts. My thinner budy has a full 3mil but unzips between dives and sometimes in the water. I've dove both inside Molokini (shallower) and 1st Cathedral that way - sometime in summer, probably July or later.

If you plan to do any shorediving, most of the entries are off a sandy beach so the lava is only a factor at a couple of sites to the south.

Last edited:
Hi,

I recently dived with Lahaina divers at Molokini. I used all my own gear. I dived in my Scubapro 1mm rasher and my tech shorts, no wetsuit needed but it was in early December so I don't know how that compares with the weather in June.

Either way I doubt you will need anything more than a 3mm at most.

Plan for a water temperature of around 78 degrees. Everyone has different cold tolerance, so adjust accordingly for your needs.

Did the same dives last August in board shorts and a rash guard.

Going again in late March and will bring a 3mm shorty. I was fine last time but I drowned my iPhone in my board short pocket. Took it down to 95 feet at the Carthaginian wreck. A wetsuit should help in preventing such stupidity.

I've never been to Maui, but on my three trips to the Big Island, I wore my 5 mil without a hood. I was comfortable. The first trip was in December. The other two trips were in July.

I saw a wide range of suits on all three trips. The range ran from skinny women diving in tiny bikinis to folks wearing 7/8 mil semi-dry suits. Water temps were in the mid-seventies. Like others have said, what's right for really depends on how you tolerate water temps in the seventies.

-AZTinman

Thanks for all the replies! it appears warmer than I thought so I'm going to take a wetsuit top with a front zip, old school James Bonds styles. and some board shorts.

I have dove the dive sites you mentioned in late April with a Bare 3/2 full suit. It was perfect for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom