wetsuit topic for tropics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swedinsidemount

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi!
Needing a new wetsuit and have come to SB for some advice, please comment on what suit you reccommend.
(live in south FL usually dive around 70ft)

3mm-deep-6-wetsuit.html

I used a Henderson body suit. Anything warmer would seem too much for the tropics.
Oops, sorry, I read the title and was thinking the real tropics. I'd probably wear my shorty in winter where you are.

Depends on your cold tolerance. A well fitting 3 or 5 would be good for that area.

The temperature range between winter and summer in south Florida is significant. In the winter, I wear a 5mm suit, but that would be way too much in the summer or early fall.

Do you get cold easily, are you going to be diving year round or only when it is warmer?

Do you get cold easily, are you going to be diving year round or only when it is warmer?
i mean i am a floridaian so i dont know cold lol, year round, i have a 7mm that would be torture in summer, i "think" a 3mm would be good but were talking 60 ft for a prolonged period soooo.....

i mean i am a floridaian so i dont know cold lol, year round, i have a 7mm that would be torture in summer, i "think" a 3mm would be good but were talking 60 ft for a prolonged period soooo.....
You continue to mention depth without mentioning your expected water temperature nor expected total exposure time. What is prolonged to you? An hour? Four hours? How many dives per day? The Deep6 are above average suits. A 3mm with a high quality hooded vest would be tolerable for recreational dives midsummer in most of S FL.

A high quality 3mm is good for most people in the summer here with a hooded vest for the winter unless you are doing long technical dives. Just remember you do tend to get what you pay for when it comes to wetsuits. A suit with wrist and neck seals will keep water from flushing through the suit and better quality neoprene will compress less with depth resulting in you being warmer than if you get a basic inexpensive suit. I have had good experiences with Bare, Scubapro and Henderson wetsuits but any quality suit that fits properly should give you a good experience. The exception seems to be the Deep 6 wetsuit which has many recommendations on Scubaboard. Unfortunately they do not have a wide range of sizes so they don't have one that will fit my short and fat body otherwise I would be trying one, it is hard to find suits in stock that are XL or XXL short!

I have seen divers coming out of the water wearing from shortie to dry suit in Philippines!
Cold tolerance is the deciding factor.
3mm would be a good start, vest with hood for layering.
There is no such thing as suit for all seasons.
If I am doing multi dives a day, I always feel the chill on the last one as my body core temp has been gradually dropping. So I do come prepare for it(vest with hood).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom