Wetsuit vs. Drysuit for Florida Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Would an 'arsenal' of 6.5mm and 3mm wetuits be more useful for Florida Keys dives than a drysuit?

Would a drysuit be overkill for Florida dives?

I would think a drysuit would turn into a wetsuit from persperation. At least it would for me.

I suppose it depends on your tolerence to temperature. My wife thinks 84 degree water is "chilly" ... to me 60 degrees is slightly chilly. I use my 3mm down to 70 degrees. Then break out my 6 with hood and gloves for anything down to 60 degrees.

I grew up snorkeling in spring fed strip mines..... we're talking 55 degree water in July:wacko: When your lips start to turn blue, you quit for the day. And you didn't jump into the water... you slowly lowered yourself...... with a really long pause when you hit the top of your legs, and getting to the really sensitive area..... if you know what I mean:eek:

IMHO, a drysuit would be OVERKILL in the Fl Keys. A 3mm in the summer time is more than suffiecient. A 5mm may be helpful during the winter months. This comes from a true warm water wussie.

a drysuit would be overkill.

Last November, my buddy used a 1mm and he was plenty warm enough. I used 3mm then switched to .5 (1/2) mm and it was just fine. The coldest we found was 79 degrees at 107 feet at the Capt'n Dan. Surface temps on the boat ranged from 84 to 90 plus. If you do use a drysuit, get in the water quickly.

[Of course we are used to diving in Monterey around 50 degrees with 2 piece 7mm so we are more used to cold than some. 65 degrees at Lake Tahoe a couple weeks ago was quite comfortable.]

my dos centavos, but only because you asked.

Wristshot

A drysuit is really useful. Makes those winter SI a snap, even the cold night ones.

I have 2 suits, a DR 905 dry and a Tilos 3/2 wetsuit.

I wear the drysuit during the 3 cold months and at the springs, the wetsuit when the water is a bit chilly, otherwise just swimming trunks.

I'd rather have the drysuit than a wetsuit heavier than 5mm.

Peter

Winter diving in the Gulf can get downright nippy if you're offshore in the Tampa area, and up in the Panhandle it can get downright cold. They get frost in the Panhandle sometimes. Those are a couple of prime areas where a drysuit can come in handy.
I won't mention diving in golf courses & other smelly places. :wink:

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Would an 'arsenal' of 6.5mm and 3mm wetuits be more useful for Florida Keys dives than a drysuit?

Would a drysuit be overkill for Florida dives?

I've used a drysuit in Pompano in early February and Panama City in middle November. Both times very comfortable using light insulation, with water temps in the 68-70°F.

Personally, if I see Florida water temps edging above 73°, I'd start thinking wetsuit. Find out the water temps and use what you're comfortable with. Don't forget to factor in whether or not you're going to be doing allot of diving. If you're on the fence between a drysuit & a wetsuit, then after a week of diving your core temp will be lower if using the wetsuit.

bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom