wetsuit ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foamer86

Reaction score
I am looking into getting my first wetsuit. most of my diving is done at dutch springs pa. I was there 2 weeks ago and the water was like 48degrees. But in other months that i have gone it has been around 60-70 degrees, does anyone have any suggestions for a wet suit. i want something that will last, be easy to get on and off, and keep me warm

thanks
craig

When the water gets to 48 deg only the hardy dive in a wetsuit. That being said I have been comfortable in my 7mm farmer john in near the same temps. My suit is from Henderson and is a Gold Core. It has the jacket separate from the bottoms and when worn together keep me pretty warm. The thing I also like about it is that I have ,depending on water temp, worn one piece independant from the other. Although I must say that when worn in that configuration it doesn't offer the same level of protection against bumps against rusty ships or coral (least way on your arms or legs). You may want to consider a drysuit if you will be diving in the springs of Pa. primarily.

You might consider a jumpsuit with a sleevless hooded shorty. It would offer the same type of thermal protection as a 2 piece but would allow you to remove the hooded shorty and just use the jumpsuit in warmer weather.

A number of different manufacturers make this style of suit.

Diverlady

I'll give you a good deal on a used twice Tilos 6mm 2-piece farmer john and long sleave shorty combo. I bought it too big. Oops. It's a nice suit in black. It has the elbow and knee pads. It is a large. I'm 5'8" and 170lbs. I need a medium.

I would get a trilam dry suit.

Who wants to be WET when they go scuba diving-ick!

You can dive a trilam in 48 degree water and 70 degree. I saw some guys in North Carolina diving dry suits and the water was 70 degrees. Towards the end of my dive-as I shook with hypothermia uncontolably on the safety stop in my hooded 5/4 wetsuit -I was looking at those dry guys thinking "So smart, so smart indeed". I had thermal envy.

if you have the money SKIP, PASS, DO NOT STOP, AVOID a heavy wetsuit. They are a relic-a thing of the past. If you try dry diving you will never go back to wet-unless the waters warm like where Im going next week-Cozumel for 8 days and 7 wonderful nights of some of the greatest diving on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, a trilam suit can be worn in 32 degree water to 70 degree water depending upon the undersuit-or no undersuit. It's the best way to go. Save your money a get a dry suit. You will thank me for all eternity.

Bob3 on this board sells the Viking Extreme and that's a great trilam suit at a great price.

Yep, skip the heavy wetsuit. I have a 3mm full suit I use in 78+ degree water and a drysuit for everthing else. The problem with wetsuits in 60 - 70 degree water isn't that you aren't warm enough during your 1st dive, it's either leaving it on in between dives and freezing or taking it off and then having to put back on a cold, wet wetsuit.

Before I started diving dry, I was doing a lake dive, water temp 68 or so at the surface with an air temp of 72 and windy. After my 1st dive I started freezing my butt off so I took off my wetsuit. It took me so long to warm up that I couldn't bring myself to put it back on for another dive.

You can either buy your heavy wetsuit now and buy a drysuit next year or just save yourself a few hundred and get the drysuit now.

I learned to dive in the PNW in 47-50F water using a 7mm wetsuit. Almost every dive ended with chattering teeth and blue lips...I thought I was being hardy, but it was more like foolhardy...

Your reaction times and mental acuity drop significantly when you're cold...not good. Plus, hypothermia can be a contributing factor to DCS.

DS are expensive, you might want to shop around for a used suit...I just got a very good condition TLS350 on ebay for under $700.

was kinda puzzled there for a minute and then noticed that most posting on this thread are from the south, nothing wrong with that.
The pool water temp for my classes was 74 degrees.
I think the issue of how thick and wet or dry is another one of those personal issues. I did my OW dives with a 3mm wet, no hood or gloves, in 68 degree water and was ready for more if I had another tank and time. Kinda like me going to Florida in Febuary wearing a wind breaker and most down there have their heavy winter coats on.
Still thinking about a semi dry and layering with if needed. Seen a few thin suits that are neautrally bouyant. Works in my mind but maybe not in reality.

Back
Top Bottom