Wetsuits, Seal Cement and Cotol 240

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to glue a neoprene backed pocket onto my wetsuit. I plan on using McNett Seal Cement and am wondering what to use to prep the surfaces with. I know the best product would be toluol but I can not get it localy and ordering it for shipping is not an option due to timing. I have Cotol, Acetone, and MEK on hand.

I understand Cotol 240 is 98% toluol with just a tiny bit of accelerant. The label for Cotol 240 says it is ok for Seam Grip but does not say anything about using it with Seal Cement. Is it ok to use it to prep/clean the surfaces of the neoprene with?

Thanks

just use the glue... Apply a layer on the suit and the pocket....make sure you saturate the nylon on both pieces. Then let dry for 2-5 hrs. Apply another coat on both surfaces. allow to dry fro maybe 10 minutes, when tacky press together and then stand on it or something for a few minutes.

Do cover the whole area under the pocket with cement or just the edges?

Just use MEK for a quick wipe before applying the glue.

Have you read the instructions yet? Typically they say put the suit on and have someone mark out where you want the pockets to go. Then remove the suit and if possible stretch it to the dimensions it was stretched to with the suit on. Really only matters if it is one of the super stretchy suits that your body expands a lot when put on. Otherwise lay the suit out flat and tape around the lines where you plan to put the glue. Do as Dumpsterdiver said for applications and time which of course is dependent on temperature and humidity. Sometimes it could take three coats of glue depending on how porous the material is. Use the Force!

Most pocket manufacturers recommend coating a one inch wide stripe around the outside of the pocket. I did my CF200 completely which tore thru glue, but after hundreds of dives not even a corner is peeling and the pockets never bothered me.

How to Glue-on Your Glue-on Pocket

Put your exposure suit and your BCD on and mark where you want your pocket. The preferred location would be directly underneath and slightly above where your hand falls naturally on your thigh such that your fingers can reach completely into the bottom of the pocket. Don't even think about trying to eyeball this, you have no hope of getting even close. Then, using the brush, paint the surface of your exposure suit where you will adhere the pocket with the Cotol-240. Do NOT mix the Cotol-240 with the Aquaseal. Next, using a plastic knife like those found in fast food restaurants, evenly spread an entire 0.75 ounce tube of Aquaseal on the back of the pocket. Finally, carefully place the pocket on to the exposure suit according to your markings. Put some weights, like a large stack of books, on the entire pocket. Allow it to cure for at least 24 hours, 48 is better, and resist the temptation to 'check on it'. It will be permanently attached to your exposure suit, as in you won't ever get it off again.

Add-On Thigh Pockets - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom