Whackerspoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
One of my earliest product designs (1971) was a tool for shucking out an Abalone from the shell, then used to pound the meat till tender. Anyone who has pounded Abalone meat know it is hard work. Unless you pound the meat is like leather. Sold 1,000's in California dive shops and speciality cooking supply stores. What is really cool is they are hand cast in our cousins' Casting Foundry. It was handed down by its Founder, my Grandfather. Aircraft Foundry, Huntington Park, California, has history. My father, Gordon B. Evans worked there during the long hot Los Angeles Summers. My mother, Betty Evans was a cook book writer and became friends with Julia Child. They would share stories of Paris circa. 1950, when Julia was studying French cooking, and my parents lived in a Montemarte studio. My parents gave Julia what I then calld the "Abalone Plucker and Pounder." Too much of a mouth full, the communications pro that Julia was said, "No. This is a Whackerspoon." She coined its name and pounded Steak Diane on her cooking show. I have only 150 Whackerspoons in stock. Their on sale on Amazon. I sign each Whackerspoon. If you contact me before they ship, I can add your name. Great heirloom cooking tool! https://www.amazon.com/s?k=whackerspoon&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Attachments

• scan-12-9-2018021-fw.png
    scan-12-9-2018021-fw.png
    530.2 KB · Views: 109
  • scan-12-9-2018016-fw.png
    scan-12-9-2018016-fw.png
    985.2 KB · Views: 108
  • child003.png-fw.png
    child003.png-fw.png
    233.2 KB · Views: 120
  • wacker_spoon-fw.png
    wacker_spoon-fw.png
    449 KB · Views: 105
I’m getting one for the wife. I’ll DM you for name.

I’m getting one for the wife. I’ll DM you for name.
Thank you. will toss in Venice Italy cooking by Betty Evans also. Have the whole collection of our Mothers cook books for sales also. Really a cool story with Publisher SunFlower Ink Palo Colorado Canyon, Carmel, California.

Attachments

• venice001.png-fw.png
    venice001.png-fw.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • venice002-fw.png
    venice002-fw.png
    578.3 KB · Views: 97
  • venice003-fw.png
    venice003-fw.png
    644.2 KB · Views: 93
I got mine today, known about them for years, never really thought I needed one, decided to get it just because. I am impressed, I can see your craftsmanship in this, the edges are great and the balance is amazing, such a simple tool done extordanarily well.

I got mine today, known about them for years, never really thought I needed one, decided to get it just because. I am impressed, I can see your craftsmanship in this, the edges are great and the balance is amazing, such a simple tool done extordanarily well.
Thank you Pal...means alot coming from you..Love Bob Found the notes for the design today..kind of cool.

Attachments

• whackerspoon003-fw.png
    whackerspoon003-fw.png
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 84
Whackerspoon arrived today. It is heavier than it looks. The cookbook that came with it is very nostalgic in style, and we appreciate it very much. Is the spoon dishwasher safe? Also, my son is curious to find out what can be whacked with it.

Whackerspoon arrived today. It is heavier than it looks. The cookbook that came with it is very nostalgic in style, and we appreciate it very much. Is the spoon dishwasher safe? Also, my son is curious to find out what can be whacked with it.
Yes, dishwasher safe. Can run warm water across the Whackerspoon and go for the ice cream..Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom