Whale shark @ king cruiser-phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryc

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between Thailand, Alaska, Indonesia, Cos
# of dives
We got lucky today and had a good show on the wreck today. 10 minutes in, it made it's first appearance. We were able to stay down for 40 more minutes and watched it pass by 8 more times. i was face to face, with it, close enough to touch. Only a baby, about 5-6M long, but still pretty cool for my first time.

Headed to shark pt for the next dive and it showed up there as well for another pass.

I think the fact that there wasn't an underwater digital camera on the boat today was the kicker for us. :(

During my dive on the King Cruiser back in 2001, a whale shark could have been just yards away and we wouldn't have seen it... my lovely DM and dive buddy misread the tide tables and there was a strong current along with very poor visibility. The only time a whale shark was sighted while I was diving in Thailand was at Chumphon Pinnacle in the Gulf of Siam... and we were too deep to see it. Glad you had a great experience.

Yes, my divers saw it as well, lovely experience. For some reason visibility at the wreck has been very nice lately, better than Shark Point e.g.

BTW, also make a trip to Racha Noi, lots of manta ray sightings at the moment.

Wow. Great stuff!

Any idea if there is a "whale shark" season? (For sightings...) I know they haven't been seen as much this year, based on previous posts here and elsewhere...but is there a generally accepted time as "more likely" to see them?

Thanks for sharing the news.

Ahhhh, I want to be there, NOW!! Two weeks and I'm there. Hope the whale shark makes an appearance during my time there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom