Whale Sharks 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ralph Capeling

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Every year I report on whale shark sightings at Gladden Spit and will do so again this year.

We are scheduling whale shark tours April 19 to 30, May 18 to 29 and June 17 to 28.

There is an earlier whale shark moon from March 20th to 31st but we do not take pre-bookings for that one as the success rate is lower. We monitor the whale shark zone at that time and if the whale sharks show up and we have interested guests – away we go!

You can find my reports for 2018 at this link on ScubaBoard WHALE SHARKS 2018

Regards
Ralph

I'll be there for the April shot at diving with them (April 17-27). Ten days in paradise and the posibility of diving with these creatures. This trip has been on my bucket list for some time.

No sightings yet which is not unusual for the March whale shark moon season. We are monitoring the whale shark zone and will report as soon as whale sharks are sighted at Gladden Spit.

I will be in AC the 26th to April 1. I will keep checking your posts. If they happen to show, I’ll come down to Placencia.
Thanks for the info

Went out on Sunday, April 21. No sightings.

Trying again today (Weds, Apr 24): everyone please do your lucky whale shark dance for us :)

I would like to go there in 2020 - Any recommendations on where to stay and divemasters?

I would suggest that there are far better places for seeing whale sharks than Placencia. My discussions with dive masters and boat crews indicates that there is very little chance of seeng whale sharks and that the situation is so bad that the government is trying to close the "whale shark zone" for at least 2-3 years in the hope of coaxing them back.

I am actually here now and extremely disapointed. This was a bucket list trip that turned into a - well replace the first letter and you got it.

I would suggest that there are far better places for seeing whale sharks than Placencia. My discussions with dive masters and boat crews indicates that there is very little chance of seeng whale sharks and that the situation is so bad that the government is trying to close the "whale shark zone" for at least 2-3 years in the hope of coaxing them back.

I am actually here now and extremely disapointed. This was a bucket list trip that turned into a - well replace the first letter and you got it.
what better places?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom