Whale Sharks 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CurlingGeek, Ralph, thanks for the updates!!! Sorry you have not seen any yet. I will be down their next for the May full moon. Keep the updates coming and hope you see one.

It's definitely discouraging when you go out all day, fin like crazy and don't see one.

A couple of years ago, when I was diving with Splash, the divers had spotted WSs the day I arrived. The next day, when I went diving, we didn't see any. Then my ear plugged up, and I was knocked out of diving for two days. Sure enough, WSs were spotted both days. Then I was cleared to dive just in time for the last day of the "season," and again we didn't see any.

And that was that.

It was almost like the WSs knew when I'd be there...

It's definitely discouraging when you go out all day, fin like crazy and don't see one.

A couple of years ago, when I was diving with Splash, the divers had spotted WSs the day I arrived. The next day, when I went diving, we didn't see any. Then my ear plugged up, and I was knocked out of diving for two days. Sure enough, WSs were spotted both days. Then I was cleared to dive and again, we didn't see any. And that was that, the "season" was over.

It was almost like the WSs knew when I'd be there...

Yep - OR the "you should have been here yesterday" BS. Did you actually talk to any diver on those boats that actually saw a whale shark? Or was this from the dive shop?

I assume no updates means no sightings? Keeping my fingers crossed that they show!

That was my experience. Given the method they use, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Snorkel with them off of Isla Mujeres - July and August. I've done it 3 times.

I'm seriously considering that.

I assume no updates means no sightings? Keeping my fingers crossed that they show!

You got that right - but I wouldn't hold my breath for better in the future.

Snorkel with them off of Isla Mujeres - July and August. I've done it 3 times.

I'm definitely considering that. I need to research it quite a bit before I commit to another trip. After this last one I'm more than a bit gun-shy. Got burnt pretty bad - and not by the sun.

Yep - OR the "you should have been here yesterday" BS. Did you actually talk to any diver on those boats that actually saw a whale shark? Or was this from the dive shop?

I don't remember specifically, but I know Ralph and Pattie, the owner/operators of Splash. They don't make stuff up just to placate a customer. In fact, they don't make stuff up.

Bummer that you didn't see any. April and May are usually the best months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom