Whale sharks 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose016

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone report on the number of sightings of whale sharks in 2020? I imagine traffic was down due to the virus. I was last in Belize probably close to 15 years ago and had always planned for my next trip to coincide with peak whale shark season. I have read of disappointing seasons the least several years including no sightings in 2019. Since Belize is opening back up I was looking at April next year. Any updates or guidance would be appreciated. I may consider Mexico instead or Belize another time of year if the whale shark sightings were off in 2020 again.

Thanks

I would never go to Belize (Placencia) again for any diving, especially not for whale sharks. I plan on going to Isla Mujeres in 2021 if CV-19 is under control by then, and I can get a vacination. I'll be 74 and can't take any chances. PM me if you want an account of my trip to Placencia.

I researched for a possible trip to see whale sharks in Belize a few years ago and was left with the impression that sightings were hit or miss even during "whale shark season". I have seen aerial video of Isla Mujere whale shark snorkeling and it looks like a total sh*t show, way too many boats and people for me. Last year while diving Dauin, Philippines we went on a day safari and visited Oslob with our resort to snorkel with whale sharks. I wasn't expecting anything less than a sh*t show based on research. Somehow we were lucky enough to have about a half dozen "wild" whale sharks to ourselves for about half an hour. From now on, I'll just wait to see them in their natural environment. Next chance for me is Socorro this coming January.

Can anyone report on the number of sightings of whale sharks in 2020? I imagine traffic was down due to the virus. I was last in Belize probably close to 15 years ago and had always planned for my next trip to coincide with peak whale shark season. I have read of disappointing seasons the least several years including no sightings in 2019. Since Belize is opening back up I was looking at April next year. Any updates or guidance would be appreciated. I may consider Mexico instead or Belize another time of year if the whale shark sightings were off in 2020 again.

Thanks

There were no whale shark tours in 2020 due to the pandemic. There were occasional sightings on surface by the fishermen.

Back
Top Bottom