Whale Sharks , Cozumel, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFS

Contributor
Reaction score
We have been seeing upwards of 40 whale sharks since february so maybe another great year if weather conditions are good. Plan and book with Blue H2o Cozumel.Tours start June 1 - Sept 17. In the mean time...did you know?

whalesharkfunfact#1.jpg

double post

Last edited:
Yes.

However, wrt fact #1, they could unintentionally pose a threat (as can any large, wild animal) - warning: very misleading video title - if the diver was low on air and panicked at the attention and seemingly being prevented from ascending, they could have had an issue:

I guess whale sharks like bubbles?

Last edited:
Here is an educational video by Simon Spear on whaleshark of Isla Mujeres, about 15 minute ferry ride from Cancun, where I plan to go on 4th of July weekend.

I went to Holbox on the North end of Yucatan Peninsula a few years back to swim with the whalesharks. There were plenty then but the water was a bit greenish & murky, unlike the clear blue ocean water of Isla Mujeres.

In Cendrawasih Bay, Papua, Indonesia, you can actually dive with them. The fisherman there treat them as a sign of good luck & feed them with small fish (anchovies or Ikan Teri as the local call them). The fisherman even put net below their Bagan (floating fishing platform) so the whaleshark can suck the oil out of the anchovies. I dove with 3 of them at one time. Here is a nice video of the whaleshark of Cendrawasih Bay (East of Raja Ampat) from Kaufik Anril.

Keep in mind that in Mexico (at least Holbox and Isla Mujeres) you can only snorkel with the whale sharks, and in groups that is a very limited amount of time. As for green water, that is why the whale sharks are there, and you are equally likely to see that from either location.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

In Cendrawasih Bay, Papua, Indonesia, you can actually dive with them. The fisherman there treat them as a sign of good luck & feed them with small fish (anchovies or Ikan Teri as the local call them). The fisherman even put net below their Bagan (floating fishing platform) so the whaleshark can suck the oil out of the anchovies. I dove with 3 of them at one time. Here is a nice video of the whaleshark of Cendrawasih Bay (East of Raja Ampat) from Kaufik Anril.

This place looks incredible (tho admittedly, not easy/cheap to get to). I had never heard of this place before - thanks for the pointer, Dan_T. Bucket list item added!

Reactions: Dan
This place looks incredible (tho admittedly, not easy/cheap to get to). I had never heard of this place before - thanks for the pointer, Dan_T. Bucket list item added!

You are welcome. The domestic flight is very similar to the one for Raja Ampat, but instead of going to Sorong, you go to Manukwari, which is about half hour flight eastward from Sorong. Some flights stop in Sorong before heading to Manukwari.

Another attraction there is to wreck dive of WWII sunken artifacts. I saw a Japanese Mitsubishi Zero in a dive site by that name. Also USAF Mustang. At the end of WWII, that place was the last Indonesian territory that Japanese held, before being pushed out by the Australian & USA led by General Douglas MacArthur. Some liveaboards combine both Raja Ampat & Cendrawasih Bay tours.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom