Whale sharks (south) or Belize atolls (north)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HumbertoCol

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning a travel to Belize on the week of Jun 17th (15th to 22nd). Planned that week around full moon because of my desired of dive with the whale shark, but reading around I'm getting a bit doubtful if this is the best way of spending my diving time in Belize. I know there's never a guarantee that you'll see this fabulous creature and it is a hit or miss. Belize is been in my bucket list and don't want to miss some of the other great sites northern of the country.

I'm planning 7 nights in the country and would like to read opinions of fellow divers about it. Stay in Plancencia and do whale shark dive and try the other remote locations from there? Couple of days in Plancencia and the rest a bit northern? Skip whale shark attempt all together and stay somewhere else? I need to be also conscious of budget. I'm traveling alone and not looking for fancy or luxurious accommodation. Advises on dive shops and hotels are appreciated :)

Thanks

We saw 4 in a week here in Naples last September

Check with Splash Divers in Placencia.

With regard to best diving, that depends. The best diving is out at the Atolls.

There's good diving out of Hopkins, as well but it takes longer to get to than sites from Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker's local sites.

You only have 7 days and limited budget. It takes travel time to get to the Cayes from Placencia, which can be done by air, $$$ less time, or by bus and water taxi, -$$ much time.

This trip, recommend trying for some whale sharks out of Placencia, and some other dives.

I'm with Chilly. Don't try to do to much on one trip, especially since you're there for only a week. Belize is a small country, but you will still spend the better part of a day traveling from north to south or vice versa even if you fly. At a minimum, it would knock you out of a dive day. So pick one and save the other half of the country for next time.

As far as cheaper accommodations, you shouldn't have any trouble. June's the low season, my favorite time to go, and prices are negotiable. If you really want low prices, don't book ahead in Placencia. Just show up and negotiate. You should be able to find a cabana on the beach for $50 to $60 a night max, probably less, if you stay for a week and can pay cash. I haven't been to AC but I'm sure someone will chime in.

I've been to Placencia many times and always dive with Splash. Patty and/or Ralph can help with logistics and accommodations. (Full disclosure: I've dived with them so often that we've become very good friends so take that for what it's worth. If you dive with them, you'll become good friends as well, lol.)

Have fun! You're going to have a blast wherever you go.

this is Ralph - Ralph Capeling

Splash helped my cheap friends find a decemt budget place in town. They saw 6 sharks over two trips in late June.I believe they offer airport pickup at a minimun if you dive with them. My friends did not rent a car.

I don't believe you'll see any sharks anywhere except near Gladden Spit unless it's just one swimming by.

If you decide on one of the atoll resorts instead be aware that many only exchange guests once or twice per week via boat. The $$eaplane is always an option.

I've been to Placencia many times and always dive with Splash. Patty and/or Ralph can help with logistics and accommodations. (Full disclosure: I've dived with them so often that we've become very good friends so take that for what it's worth. If you dive with them, you'll become good friends as well, lol.)

Have fun! You're going to have a blast wherever you go.

I'm going April 17-27 (1st time to Belize) - full moon & after and have booked with Splash. I'm looking forward to meeting Ralph & Patty as much as the diving and Mayan ruins. Hoping to dive with whale sharks but whatever happens, I know it's going to be great.

I'm going April 17-27 (1st time to Belize) - full moon & after and have booked with Splash. I'm looking forward to meeting Ralph & Patty as much as the diving and Mayan ruins. Hoping to dive with whale sharks but whatever happens, I know it's going to be great.

Kharon. How was your trip? Did you have a good time? Any advice for me that am traveling in June? How was Splash? Did you spot any whale sharks?

Has anyone heard of Belize Dive Heaven Home - Belize Dive Haven ? Seems to be a place that hasn't even opened to the public but they are taking people to test their facilities... The web page looks fantastic. There are just a few reviews, one from a year ago...I got an offer that seems almost too good to be true. Anyone has experience with them?

I'm planning a travel to Belize on the week of Jun 17th (15th to 22nd). Planned that week around full moon because of my desired of dive with the whale shark, but reading around I'm getting a bit doubtful if this is the best way of spending my diving time in Belize. I know there's never a guarantee that you'll see this fabulous creature and it is a hit or miss. Belize is been in my bucket list and don't want to miss some of the other great sites northern of the country.

I'm planning 7 nights in the country and would like to read opinions of fellow divers about it. Stay in Plancencia and do whale shark dive and try the other remote locations from there? Couple of days in Plancencia and the rest a bit northern? Skip whale shark attempt all together and stay somewhere else? I need to be also conscious of budget. I'm traveling alone and not looking for fancy or luxurious accommodation. Advises on dive shops and hotels are appreciated :)

Thanks
A question...Can you actually scuba with whale sharks in Belize, or are there the restrictions,like in Mexico ?

Has anyone heard of Belize Dive Heaven Home - Belize Dive Haven ? Seems to be a place that hasn't even opened to the public but they are taking people to test their facilities... The web page looks fantastic. There are just a few reviews, one from a year ago...I got an offer that seems almost too good to be true. Anyone has experience with them?

I don't know what to tell you. It exists but seems impossible at the same time.

Miraculous Turneffe Atoll: Unparalleled Beauty, A Dream Property and A Massive Hotel - San

95-room hotel development puts Turneffe Atoll at risk - The San Pedro Sun

Back
Top Bottom