Whale Wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dk2943

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I don't know if this is really scuba related, but it is very close.

I have been watching the series "Whale Wars". While I greatly sympathize with motives and ultimate goals of the Sea Shepards, they seem to be befuddled and almost almost incompetent, giving their cause a bad name.

They are pretty much the only outfit that holds the Japan whale harvest short of their planned harvest numbers, operating on limited donations, with a slow ship and a crew with few experienced mariners.

Until someone offers a better option, Sea Sheppards is the only group successful saving whales, garnering media attention to Japan's barbarism while giving the cause it's only real positive impact.

Whale Wars

I have two distinctly different opinions on this... even in my own mind... which is why Sea Shepard has trouble gaining the support of people with brains. While their actions are noble and in some cases possibly even legal, they are operating "on the edge" and without a lot of common sense. The leader places unknowing, unwitting and juvenilish young men and women in grave danger to advance his personal agenda.

Here is where myself and others are torn in the whole issue. On one hand, we agree the Whales need to be saved and we commend Sea Shepard for attempting to do something about it. On the other hand, some of the tactics used and the illegal boarding of a vessel constitute piracy... no matter what their intent. In other words, blocking vessels, throwing stink bombs etc... I believe are plausible.... however boarding the Japanese vessels are not.

No matter how vile I may believe the Japanese are for conducting the illegal whaling, I must commend them on the amazing restraint they showed when the Shepards boarded their vessel. As a captain of a sea going vessel on the open seas, I would consider any such boarding attempt an attempt at piracy and I would have either shot them as they attempted to board or pushed them back overboard into the frigid sea. There is no doubt about this.

After doing this for many years and still not getting the support needed from world governments, it's time the Sea Shepards take a more tactful approach. The problem is that they have done more damage than good by causing themselves to be seen as renegade vigilantes. If they were attempting to enforce laws in such a manner on land, they would all be in jail. I see no reason why vigilantiasm on the sea should result in any different a result.

I applaud activism and I agree we need to do more to save the whales... but only a sincere effort made by international governments and government patrol boats with full authority on the seas can do this. Boats conducting whaling need to be confiscated and sold and their crews jailed... just the same as vigilante pirates on the sea do.

If news crews can monitor this entire fiasco and put it on TV, I don't think it is much of a stretch to say the government can dispatch a vessel or two and lock up both crews and confiscate both vessels.... now that would make for some damn good TV.

I watched the series until the end. The way I saw it, it was almost pathetic. The last show or two, they watched whales being harpooned and then pulled up onto the ship that cuts them up and discards the waste: Not once, but several times. And the Sea Shepard just sat there, unable to do anything but watch.

Whale Wars

I have two distinctly different opinions on this... even in my own mind... which is why Sea Shepard has trouble gaining the support of people with brains. While their actions are noble and in some cases possibly even legal, they are operating "on the edge" and without a lot of common sense. The leader places unknowing, unwitting and juvenilish young men and women in grave danger to advance his personal agenda.

Here is where myself and others are torn in the whole issue. On one hand, we agree the Whales need to be saved and we commend Sea Shepard for attempting to do something about it. On the other hand, some of the tactics used and the illegal boarding of a vessel constitute piracy... no matter what their intent. In other words, blocking vessels, throwing stink bombs etc... I believe are plausible.... however boarding the Japanese vessels are not.

No matter how vile I may believe the Japanese are for conducting the illegal whaling, I must commend them on the amazing restraint they showed when the Shepards boarded their vessel. As a captain of a sea going vessel on the open seas, I would consider any such boarding attempt an attempt at piracy and I would have either shot them as they attempted to board or pushed them back overboard into the frigid sea. There is no doubt about this.

After doing this for many years and still not getting the support needed from world governments, it's time the Sea Shepards take a more tactful approach. The problem is that they have done more damage than good by causing themselves to be seen as renegade vigilantes. If they were attempting to enforce laws in such a manner on land, they would all be in jail. I see no reason why vigilantiasm on the sea should result in any different a result.

I applaud activism and I agree we need to do more to save the whales... but only a sincere effort made by international governments and government patrol boats with full authority on the seas can do this. Boats conducting whaling need to be confiscated and sold and their crews jailed... just the same as vigilante pirates on the sea do.

If news crews can monitor this entire fiasco and put it on TV, I don't think it is much of a stretch to say the government can dispatch a vessel or two and lock up both crews and confiscate both vessels.... now that would make for some damn good TV.

I have to say I don't agree with several of your points. I don't believe merely boarding a ship is piracy --for example, if you were adrift and a ship came nearby, pulling yourself aboard would clearly not be piracy. It is only piracy if the boarders attempt to take control of the ship.

As for Japanese restraint, they fired shots at the Sea Shepard, and allegedly shot the captain (yes, I know there is some controversy about that, but there is video of Japanese snipers shooting at the Sea Shepard).

Respectfully, how would you propose to more tactfully approach the slaughter of endangered whales by the Japanese? Ask them nicely to stop? We know from bitter experience that such tactics do not work.

I realize reasonable minds can differ on topics such as this, but we also know that marine animals are being killed off at a dramatic and alarming rate. Sharks and whales are at the top of the list. Governments seem powerless to stop the slaughter; both because there is so much money involved and for reasons of tradition.

When I was younger, I believed if we could simply make a good case, using a diplomatic approach, things would change. Clearly that does not work and militancy is the only recourse.

Indicentally, I believe I am someone "with brains" and I support the Sea Shepard.

Jeff

They are the only people out there doing anything that is even remotely working. And yes, they often look pathetic, but most are volunteers with few boat skills.

And whaling is on the increase. Iceland is doing it again. The Russians are thinking about it.

Like several activists, Paul Watson has a wild eyed passion for the whales and is willing to risk his and the lives of his volunteer crew to help save them. It's just too bad that he does not have the resources to do it safely and with more competence.

The real value of his antics is in the exposure of just what is going on in the Southern Ocean.

Their credibility was lost when the Capt staged being shot by someone on the whaling boat.
Bullet lodged in his bulletproof vest but no holes in his shirt or jacket.
Numbskull.

and I would disagree with both Jeff_Toorish and OfftheWall1.

I think bording a ship on the open sea is piracy and pirates should be shot-being adrift on a raft and attempting to come on board is a poor example as the boat and its crew have an obligation to provide aid. I think Offthewall is a bit wrong in assuming that only governments can enforce laws. I have never thought that civilized people surrendered their rights to enforce laws simply because they elect to have a professional military/police force...but the thing to remember is that while the whalers might be breaking the spirit of the law they are still acting legally-perhaps unethically but within the law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom