Whale Wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The owner/inventor of EarthRace is the Captain of this ship which requires a one man crew. All he needs is an eye candy mate for good video and squeeling soundtrack.

Boat crew: Skipper, Pete Bethune (New Zealand); Navigator, Adam Carlson (Sweden); Mark Russell, Engineer (UK and USA); Rob Drewett, Cameraman (UK)

Correction; all he needs is to replace Adam & Mark with jiggling, squeelers (Animal Planet supplies the cameraman).

The one man crew has been covered. You just can't run a speedboat of that size with 1 person.

Am I the only one who reads the plan to intercept harpoons and shakes my head? You're going to attempt to run your 78ft vessel in between a harpoon ship and a whale in a deliberate attempt to have your vessel block a harpoon? That's a recipe for hitting something with your boat (whale or harpoon boat) or being hit by the harpoon vessel.

It will make for exciting TV.

They will end up impaling a whale with that boat and then committing mass suicide for the sense guilt. I can hardly wait :popcorn:

Well then send your comments to National Geographic. I know what I saw. They did DNA testing because there are species they are not supposed to sell. Perhaps those further down the endangered species chart. Regardless, they used the term "illegal".

I found this on my first google scan
Evidence of Endangered Whale Meat In Japan Underscores Need for Commercial Whaling Moratorium | The Humane Society of the United States

It's common practice by environmental organizations such as Sea Shepherd, PETA, and the Humane Society to use the word "illegal" to create a aura of perjorative expression around an activity they are against. It isn't used accurately--just makes it sounds like people taking whales, fur, whatever are really, really bad and ooooooh, they are breaking the law--which they aren't. Maybe they are really bad--but you can't take them to court for catching whales (at least not in international waters) EVEN IF IT IS A WHALE SPECIES NOT ON THE IWC CATCH LIST. If it were illegal a lawsuit could be fiiled. None has been and none will be, because what they are doing isn't "illegal"--just something that a lot of people are against.

LOL, I would still use lethal force if need be to ensure the safety of my crew :)

"New Captain not a fat liar like the old one." Hilarious!

I'd bet that "Earthrace" will get trashed by either the Antarctic Seas or a whaling boat within a year or two of service.

It looks like a little toy.

*DING DING DING* We have a winnah!!!!!!!! :cheerleader::clapping:

Didn't take that long.

I've only recently started watching. (unemployment will do that to you) Like many of the posters, I'm of mixed mind. Hard to condemn the Japanese whaling fleet as I eat popcorn shrimp while I watch. :D OTOH, I like whales. I hate to see them killed, especially under false pretense. I have a VERY hard time with people that compare the Sea Shepherd crew to the 9/11 folks. They are at least making an effort not to kill or hurt anyone....except possibly themselves. I have some issues with their tactics (although I'm still wondering why someone hasn't made an air mortar for launching the butyric acid bottles) Like many situations....there's a lot of grey area here.

Its bad enough they are throwing a hard glass object weighing 6-10ozs at the ship and crew but an air mortar launching that same weight would crush a man's skull easily enough. Its one thing to throw crap and run around like eco-nuts and another thing to commit murder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom