What a disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

even OZZY OZBORNE has said that it was easeir to quit the drugs that he has done than it was to quit smoking. my experiance it is true i have tried many times.

grayeagle:
even OZZY OZBORNE has said that it was easeir to quit the drugs that he has done than it was to quit smoking. my experiance it is true i have tried many times.
Modern medicine has made it very simple to quit. My buddy did it and by day 3 he was down to 1 smoke a day, a week later and he was done.
Call your doctor - you can be a non-smoker too!

Soggy:
It's not foolish if the organization believes that smoking and diving are contraindicated.
I disagree, unless they believe that the rigors of their fundamentals course are such that the presence of a smoker creates significant risk, which I think would be difficult to support. It's a fundamentals class... my understanding is that the people coming into it are assumed to not be up to GUE standards, and that it will show them where the bar is set. I don't see that taking DIR-F as a smoker is any worse than taking DIR-F with poor buoyancy skills, split fins, or situational awareness. The point is to see what you need to improve in order to become a DIR diver, not to already be one when you show up.

I don't think it would be appropriate to pass a smoker, but I really don't understand why that particular class shouldn't be available to them. Obviously, once you've passed fundies, it's a reasonable prerequisite for other GUE courses though.

Jason B:
Modern medicine has made it very simple to quit.
Bull.

I was a smoker for years, and in my experience the drugs didn't make it any easier. Neither did the gum, or the patch. Strange as it may sound, keeping small amounts of nicotine in my system didn't help to wean me off of nicotine, and things that "reduced the craving" didn't do anything for the habit or my withdrawl symptoms. The only thing that worked for me was simply suffering through not smoking until I didn't feel like I was suffering anymore. There's nothing easy about that. You just have to want it enough to say no every time, over and over.

... or finding a mutually-exclusive addiction that's more important to you than smoking ... mine was meeting (and eventually marrying) a woman who was allergic to the stuff ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

MSilvia:
I disagree, unless they believe that the rigors of their fundamentals course are such that the presence of a smoker creates significant risk, which I think would be difficult to support....I don't think it would be appropriate to pass a smoker, but I really don't understand why that particular class shouldn't be available to them....
The reason GUE excludes smokers is that GUE does not share your view of the purpose of their organization or the purpose of their Fundamentals course.

GUE has stated that its training is not for everyone. GUE is not interested in "teaching the world to dive." GUE is interested in training divers to be GUE divers. GUE is not interested in teaching a diver anything if that diver isn't willing to commit to GUE's standards regarding smoking, which is one of the requirements of being a GUE diver.

That's pretty much it. It's a deliberately exclusive world-view. They are not asking for anyone else's approval or input, they are just announcing their policy, and you can either go along with it or not.

If you want to learn the skills taught in a Fundamentals course without meeting the GUE smoking/fitness/drug use/etc. requirements, you can do so outside of GUE's curiculum. Plenty of non-GUE instructors can teach the same skills.

Just as GUE has done, you can set up your own training agency. If you want to allow smokers to sign up for your classes, you are free to do so. Then you can ignore critics who think you should exclude smokers, just as GUE ignores critics who think they should include smokers.

WJL:
The reason GUE excludes smokers is that GUE does not share your view of the purpose of their organization or the purpose of their Fundamentals course.

GUE has stated that its training is not for everyone. GUE is not interested in "teaching the world to dive." GUE is interested in training divers to be GUE divers. GUE is not interested in teaching a diver anything if that diver isn't willing to commit to GUE's standards regarding smoking, which is one of the requirements of being a GUE diver.

That's pretty much it. It's a deliberately exclusive world-view. They are not asking for anyone else's approval or input, they are just announcing their policy, and you can either go along with it or not.

If you want to learn the skills taught in a Fundamentals course without meeting the GUE smoking/fitness/drug use/etc. requirements, you can do so outside of GUE's curiculum. Plenty of non-GUE instructors can teach the same skills.

Just as GUE has done, you can set up your own training agency. If you want to allow smokers to sign up for your classes, you are free to do so. Then you can ignore critics who think you should exclude smokers, just as GUE ignores critics who think they should include smokers.

Well said. I would add that there is a well thought-out REASON for all of the rules and regs that GUE embraces and that they are not excluding smokers (or anyone for that matter) simply to have a no-smoking club. You may disagree with their reasoning and choose to go another route, but it is worth investigating the why of the situation.

A

WJL:
Cool! They could call it Smoking Underwater Explorers....SUE.:eyebrow:

dsteding:
I figured it was in jest, hence the moonie (BTW, this is Doug-we dived together up in Sechelt).

Agreed, I see this all the time.

dsteding,
I know exactly who you are, we've met numerous times at cove 2 as well, I didn't realize you were an attorney though!

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom