What a disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103:
I think the key to the misunderstanding here is that GUE doesn't want to raise interest in DIR with the fundies class, but rather to train those already interested who are willing to conform to the standard. I make no implications of right or wrong here, but that's how I see the issue.
I think that's a fair assessment.
AaronR103:
To answer your question as to how to investigate DIR without taking the class I'd suggest ordering the book "Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving." It's a great read that explains the DIR philosophy and why each of the standards are what they are. ...You can get it from GUE's website.
You're right, that would be a pretty good way. It probably didn't occur to me only because I bought it as required reading for DIR-F, which I took about a month after kicking my tobacco habit. :D

Still, it wasn't until after taking fundies that I decided it wasn't a training path I was interested in, so that might color my perception of DIR-F as an introduction to GUE training. I still like most of what I got out of the read though, and frequently use it as a reference.

MSilvia:
...How do you suggest a diver interested in learning about the whys of GUE training go about it if not by taking DIR-F? I was led to believe that accepting DIR methodologies on faith and without understanding was to be discouraged.
It depends on when GUE wants to do the weeding out of "non-commited" divers. Maybe GUE would get more students in Fundamentals if it relaxed the no-smoking requirement for that class. But my impression is that GUE genuinely doesn't care about "spreading the GUE gospel" to all and sundry. The no-smoking requirement is one of GUE's pre-conditions to training at even the Fundamentals level. GUE has made a knowing decision to exclude smokers. It is just writing off the people who are unable to quit smoking. Maybe that's elitist and peremptory, but it's GUE's position.

I don't think GUE sees its Fundamentals class as a "get acquainted with GUE" seminar, for people to check out and see what GUE is like and maybe sign up for more classes. My impression is that they expect a diver to read up and understand enough about GUE's philosophy to decide whether or not they are willing to agree to accept GUE's requirements before signing up for the class.

My understanding of the GUE view is that if a diver is unwilling to give up smoking to take Fundamentals, GUE is unwilling to accept that diver as a student. If a diver is not willing to go at least that far, GUE is not going to spend the time to explain the whys and wherefores of its system.

AaronR103:
To answer your question as to how to investigate DIR without taking the class I'd suggest ordering the book "Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving." It's a great read that explains the DIR philosophy and why each of the standards are what they are. Even if you don't end up wanting to go DIR it's got a lot of useful concepts you can consider adding to your diving style. I've even got non-DIR buddies (don't tell anyone) who read my copy and bought their own. You can get it from GUE's website.

A
Not sure I'd agree with that. While JJ does a good job of introducing the concepts and explaining the gear configurations, he doesn't really get into the "how to's" ... much less the "why's" ... of DIR diving.

I read the book a couple years before taking the class. I dived with DIR divers for a long time before taking the class. But it wasn't until I took the class ... and had the opportunity to interact with an instructor ... that I really started to understand that DIR was much more than a way to rig gear and a bunch of fancy fin kicks.

There's a reason why it's so difficult to explain to someone over the Internet ... because it involves adjusting your whole mental approach to diving. Such an adjustment really requires an interaction with someone who understands it well enough to explain it. Reading a book, or engaging in Internet conversation doesn't do that well. That's why so many of these conversations end up with the advice from people to "take the class" ... because it's really the only meaningful answer out there.

Until you understand that DIR involves approaching the dive as "us", rather than as "me", you really haven't got a basis for why they do anything. The whole smoking issue is a good example of that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Until you understand that DIR involves approaching the dive as "us", rather than as "me", you really haven't got a basis for why they do anything.

Nice post, Bob.

and you really think GUE is the only one with this rule?

open water diver who wants to learn scootering must be none smoker.

have a look here

from this page:

Requirements

Minimum age of 18
Completed 5thD-X registration process
NAUI Open water certification or equivalent
Participants must be nonsmokers
Minimum of 25 logged dives
The use of prescription drugs must be authorized prior to the onset of diver training by a physician

BTW, I think PADI and all other agencies should make this a requirement (to be a none smoker) to become OW certified.
ex-smokers are the biggest advocates against smoking, they understand both sides and I am one of them.

Data:
and you really think GUE is the only one with this rule?

readseaexplorers == 5thD-X == AG == Former GUE training director

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom