What am I missing? LX10 vs. GoPro 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

epolice

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Yes I am a hardcore amateur but hear me out - If I only shoot video, am I better off with the Panasonic LX10 than a GoPro 6? The way I see it, the GoPro already does wide angle and I can add on macro. The LX10 needs a wide angle to be added. The GoPro does 4k at 60fps while the LX10 only does 30. It also has a higher fps for 1080.

What advantage does the LX10 have over the GoPro 6 if I am only interested in video?

Thanks!

I have an LX10 and GoPro 3 Black (used underwater for 5 years) and I shoot video only so I can provide some input. All in, the LX10 is about 4x the cost (nauticam housing). My main reason for switching was low light shooting, the GoPro was way too grainy in lower light.

Benefits of the GoPro are size and ease of use. You don't have to worry about focus, because everything is in focus. You need to use the CamRAW white balance setting and red filter to get good results, a red filter up the ISO/grain.

Where the LX10 wins is macro ability, low light shooting and excellent manual white balance ability (good until 60 feet without a filter). Autofocus will take time to figure out how to do effectively.

The video I get from my LX10 is for sure better quality than the GoPro, but I really think I'd be happy with either one.

I have an LX10 and GoPro 3 Black (used underwater for 5 years) and I shoot video only so I can provide some input. All in, the LX10 is about 4x the cost (nauticam housing). My main reason for switching was low light shooting, the GoPro was way too grainy in lower light.

Benefits of the GoPro are size and ease of use. You don't have to worry about focus, because everything is in focus. You need to use the CamRAW white balance setting and red filter to get good results, a red filter up the ISO/grain.

Where the LX10 wins is macro ability, low light shooting and excellent manual white balance ability (good until 60 feet without a filter). Autofocus will take time to figure out how to do effectively.

The video I get from my LX10 is for sure better quality than the GoPro, but I really think I'd be happy with either one.

I just got the LX10 to strictly shoot video (upgraded from a GoPro) and have the hardest time with maintaining focus, even with a 1700 Lumen video light and contrast between the subject and background. It seems to constantly focus-hunt, which has ruined quite a few of my videos. Have you had that problem?

Lights don’t have any impact on focus. I think the problem might be your focus mode. AF-C is way too jumpy, if you have that set, change it to AF-S. second thing is to use the back button focus to set the focus and lock it. Thirdly, if you’re looking for something specific, like I was today (hammerheads in the Galapagos) I had the aperture set to 5.6, and pre-focused on something 10-15 ft away, that way I can just shoot and be confident that when it comes out I’ll have a pretty big focus plane. Worked pretty well for all the big things today.

I also have an LX10. Previously I used an RX100 V that gave me a lot of problems. Finally I returned the RX100 and bought the LX10 (Thanks amazon).

I have been many years with action cam and has no point of comparison in image quality with a compact as the LX10, regarding stabilization, brightness, macro wins again the LX10. The white balance in LX10 is simply the best.

I only use it for video and I always record in 4k. I do not have the focus problem because I use the INON UWL-H100 lens. With this lens it is enough to fix the focus on the fins and everything will be focused.

Here you can see an example video using the INON

The first 7 seconds are 35 meters deep (115 feet) without filter, white balance is awesome. Keep in mind that the video has quality facebook

Hi, what is CamRAW white balance?? Thanks.

Hi, what is CamRAW white balance?? Thanks.

A white balance setting (at least on my hero 3 black). I think it’s only enabled when you turn on protune. It’s a flat picture profile that is supposed to retain more detail, but needs to be colour corrected.

The GoPro 5 and 6 are HUGE improvements over the older GoPros as far as color, clarity, and white balance. You can't even compare them.

It is all up to the OP as to whether going $$$ is worth it. Personally, I don't dive as much as I used to, so no way I would pay that much to upgrade. I love my GoPro5 and use it more topside now than underwater. Always amazed at low light capabilities and color, clarity, etc.

A white balance setting (at least on my hero 3 black). I think it’s only enabled when you turn on protune. It’s a flat picture profile that is supposed to retain more detail, but needs to be colour corrected.

Thanks, I'll check my GoPro Black 6, but I now think that's just called "flat". Thanks!

I thought I'd follow up on this with the video I put together from my trip to Costa Rica. I brought a Big Blue 1200 lumen light for macro but didn't really end up using it. This was all filmed with natural light, no red filter. Most of the footage is between 30-90 feet with only 1 shot I think about 20 feet. I manually white balanced off my white fin every change in depth. Color corrected in Davinci Resolve (free version). Mostly 1080 footage, including some high frame rate stuff.

I'm extremely happy with the results. I just wish I could slow down the 4k footage because it was a little shaky, I was in pretty strong current/surge so that may have played a part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom