What am I missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKGuns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First post, Just passed the PADI online course and will soon start pool work with an instructor. I’m over 50 and have wanted to learn this sport for many years.

I want to train with the kit I will use so I am trying to get well prepared before hitting the pool and the quarry.

Here is what I have so far, would like critique or suggestions on what I have and what I am missing.

BCD - Zeagle Ranger
First Stage - ScubaPro MK25 DIN
Second Stage - ScubaPro A700
Octo - ScubaPro - R195
Computer - Oceanic Pro Plus 3
Tank - 80cf Catalina AL
Fins - AquaLung Rocket
LittleBooties for Fins
Mask - ScubaPro Spectra
Snorkel - Cressi Alpha Ultra Dry
(8) two pound soft shot weight bags

I plan to take advanced courses after certification so I tried to buy flexible kit that would last.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Welcome to diving! :)

I am new, too, and am in the process of assembling my kit. Personally, I would recommend you look at an exposure suit next. While I can't advise on particular brands (this is what I am looking to buy right now), I do know that you should take into consideration the type of diving you will be doing. Specifically, cold or warm water. From what I have researched and been told by others, fit is most important in terms of suit - not necessarily the brand. Personally, I am between the Proteus 2, Scubapro Everflex, Aqualung Aquaflex, and Bare Reactive (in no particular order). What you choose may also depend on what your LDS (local dive shop) offers. Best to buy something you can try on in person, as opposed to buying online.

Regarding weights - you may end up getting different weights once you know what your buoyancy is like in the water, and the type of water (fresh vs salt).

There are probably several things you could continue to buy, and likely will :)

Best of luck, and happy diving!!

Not sure where you’re diving, but, off the top of my head, wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood, cutting devices, possibly compass (not sure if you have one with your SPG).

I’m not familiar with most of your gear so I’ll let others speak to that.

Erik

And get yourself a waterproof 1mm Neoskin wetsuit. Perfect for diving in warm water. Rash guard flexibility with wetsuit warmth and protection. Seriously, everyone should own one:

Thanks very much for the replies.

Yes, I plan on purchasing a 5mm wetsuit at the diveshop so I can try it on for fit. I have little booties, but forgot to add them, they're there now. I live in the North and am always cold, the reason for the 5mm. Are there disadvantages to the 5mm?

What is rashguard?

@HKGuns where in the north? Depending on average water temps, and the fact that you "always get cold", going with a 7mm may better suit you. I would talk to the LDS about what people in your area typically dive with. I am in Madison, WI. Here, people dive with 14mm (7mm farmer john [long legs, no sleeves], underneath a 7mm shortie [long arms, short legs]). They dive that until water temps get warm enough to just dive a 7mm or a 5mm, dependent on personal comfort and depth of dives. Many people here also dive using a drysuit (which you would need extra training on how to use due to added buoyancy concerns).

A rashguard is like a wetsuit but not neoprene - I think it is spandex or lycra (or something like that), and is meant more to go under the wetsuit.

If you live in a cold area, a 5mm probably isn't going to get it. Think about a 7mm and an icesuit or a drysuit in the future. (Requires additional training.)

A compass, SMB and cutting tools are missing from your list. They are a must!

Back
Top Bottom