What an exciting opportunity...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK folks, Joe Weatherby aka "Shipwrecker"has agreed to help moderate this forum on sinking the Vandeberg. Please Ask any questions or make any observations and Joe is going to try and respond when he can!

Well, there are the two obvious ones :)
When???
Where???
Rick

from the web site:
The Vandenberg will lie within the bounds of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. aka Key West
The keel and screw will rest at 140' The tops of the bridge, com rooms, crow's nest and the vast dish antennas will be only 40' below the surface in normally clear gulf stream waters. Lying outside the reef line, about 6 miles offshore, the wreck will often be visible even to snorkelers and glass bottom boats. This site will be the signature dive of Key West and the Florida Keys, and will become one of the most famous warm-water wrecks in the world. All 4 upper decks will be opened to divers, with access vertically through the 18 stair towers, elevator shafts, and cargo holds. The spaces will also be accessible horizontally through 7x10' holes in the hull. The fuel tanks, tank-top, and first platform will be sealed and ballasted to insure upright positioning.

Excellent! I've been trying to keep up on this every time I'm in KW, I didn't know it was finally happening! :thumb:

Cool, can't wait to dive it.

tedwhiteva:
The fuel tanks, tank-top, and first platform will be sealed and ballasted to insure upright positioning.
Hmmm.... reckon that's a "lesson from the Grove," eh?
Rick :)

Excellent - sounds like another great diving opportunity.

And only 6 miles off shore - even better. I love diving the mighty 'O', but that long ride out and back is a real killer

Cheers

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom