What are my options to fill my own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok thanks for the advice. Doesn't the Cornelius fill to 3000psi?

some do, some don't, but as I dive steel tanks as primary bottles, I need at least 4000psi so I've never paid attention to them. I think @Luis H has one though and he's in the Portland area up there so he would be a good resource

How deep are you going? I ask because snuba could be an option.

I'd vote for a little gas rig a Coltri 6 or equivalent. Lug it once and fill whenever (I'd think you would end up diving more) than a fleet of tanks.

How deep are you going? I ask because snuba could be an option.

I'd vote for a little gas rig a Coltri 6 or equivalent. Lug it once and fill whenever (I'd think you would end up diving more) than a fleet of tanks.
Most of my 40 some odd dives have been in the 45-65fsw range, though I have made a few to 70-75fsw. I expect to go deeper as I continue to gain experience.

I don't think snuba would be the answer. I really like the idea of a compressor though, especially after hearing about some of the lower priced units discussed in this thread. I doubt it would help me dive any more because I have never not gone on a dive because of air scarcity, it's more about free time. It would be really great if I didn't have to lug 5 tanks back and forth every week though as it usually involves carrying them one at a time on my shoulder up/down a ladder on each end of the trip. Then they take up room on the boat, I have to lug them to my truck, etc. If I can do this for about $1k that would be amazing.

Filtration will likely cost you more than 1,000.

A 4.2 CFM MCH6 is only $2700 on sale right now.

I spend most of my time on an island where I don't have access to tank fills. This means I have to carry my tanks back and forth to the mainland to get them filled. So I would like to explore some other options.

I have been looking at compressors and it looks like it would cost me somewhere around $5K for a new compressor or somewhere in the $2K-3K range for a used one that may or may not need work. What other options do I have? I know very little about bank bottles and boosters, but I know they exist. Is there a practical way to rig something up where I could just have a couple large cylinders to get multiple 80cf fills from? I am trying to find the most economical way to do this.

It seems like my other option would be to just buy some more tanks so that I would have a small stockpile of filled tanks, but then I would still have to schlep them back and forth from the island.

I hope I haven't come across as a complete idiot, I just don't know much about this stuff and most of the info I am finding assumes the reader already knows a thing or two about this stuff.

Our firm Elevate Systems in San Antonio, Texas overhauls and repairs Walter Kidde Compressors. If you want more information please contact me.

Thanks

Scott Gray

find a used walter kidde ~2cfm compressor. Slow, will take you about 3-4 hours to fill both tanks, but they're continuous rated for high pressure and usually about $1k.

Cornelius are good, just usually really low pressure.
cOur firm Elevate Systems is based in San Antonio and we overhaul and repair Walter Kidde compressors. Contact me if you want more information.

Thanks

Scott Gray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom