What are options for Christmas Trip dive destinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're headed to the Maldives on Nov. 1st for a 2-week liveaboard on Blue Force One after cancelling our July 2-week dive trip to Hurghada. Staying at a resort for 4 days prior to boarding to get a few re-familiarization dives in before the 2-week trip. Even though the boat is fully booked I'm expecting the airports won't be as crowded. Real decent prices right now to go to Maldives and their cancellation policies are extremely liberal right now.

I see you've gone with "nope, not this year" and I'm trying not to give up too....

The current "fun" with travel has my wife and I wondering that. Some places aren't open, don't know when they will be open, or how well they'll do. We definitely aren't getting back to the States this year for a Christmas at home with y family, and taking the two 1 year old boys on 15 hour flights, plus a connection. Her home in Turkey is still looking sketchy this far out with the kiddos. We've been debating a trip for somewhere that would be like 1 day diving, 2 beach/ chill days and back. Kids optional on that "long weekend."

If I was in the States, Baja/ Socorro would be tempting. Currenly we're seeing some maaaajor deals on Maldives including bookings anytime through all of next year and the southern Maldives sound decent or Christmas and the current deals are fully refundable for any reason. If I could, I'd get to Chuuk/Truk Lagoon in December, I would in a heartbeat buuuut the travel connections are insane and that'll be a two week trip (and I need a little more tech time, and maybe a lottery ticket for a rebreather system.). We're living in Qatar, so direct flights to Egypt are still out politically and the connections take forever or are very expensive. Thailand can be interesting, as can Myanmar... but I was looking at pre-twins liveaboards that leave Thailand to go there... Though I did see a few liveaboards leaving India for the Andaman sea, which would be cool. Likewise, a liveaboard for Sipadan would be on my "wish list" to get to for Decemberish, with the addition of hammerheads into the normal mix of cool stuff.

In the end, we may very well bounce for a long weekend over to Oman, they have some interesting spots and apparently the plankton blooms draw whale sharks through there in December so hey...

I've been browsing Belize as a retirement place after here, and after seeing the Book of Face groups the last few months, I'm reconsidering that for sure.

KSA has some nice diving, specifically Jeddah and a little north. Have you looked into Sri Lanka? I understand they have some interesting and pristine dive sites. Not sure how travel is going to be in December to any of these places, though. Saudi still has restrictions, I think.

If you are giving up on Christmas 2020 and are interested in a Christmas in the Socorros in 2021, we have a charter trip on the Nautilus Belle Amie Dec 23-31, 2021. Info on our website and also a post on the ScubaBoard forum "Liveaboards." December is a great time in the Socorro Islands.

I will be glad to offer you an excellent package to any destination of your choice priced for a Xmas deal.

Website: Liquid Diving Adventures | Nautilus Belle Amie - Socorro Islands - December 23-31, 2021

Our family of three have been going on Christmas dive trips for the last several years. We love Bonaire and were planning to go there again but it looks like that is off the table right now. The little bit of research I have done is pointing towards either Roatan or possibly Maldives. My wife is not wanting to go to Mexico/Coz because of cold/rain we have experienced in the past in December.

Thoughts on either of these destinations? Any other ideas?

The OP hasn't been back on SB for a couple of months but in case anyone else is looking for a dive trip option:

We recently returned from 2 weeks diving St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands and we had a lovely trip and great Caribbean diving; and it was pretty easy to get there because it is a US territory. We had excellent weather, it was windy on the north side so we couldn't dive Cane Bay Wall but the west side was as calm as a lake and very good diving.

Plus there is shore diving available, not as many shore dive sites as on Bonaire of course, but the Fredricksted Pier is a truly great dive from shore or boat.

They have very low Covid rates in the USVI (1.5%) and they are enforcing masks and safety protocols. You will need to be tested within 5 days before travel but it wasn't difficult and it was nice to know that everyone on the plane had been tested.

Another nice feature is that if anyone in your group gets seriously sick they will stabilize you at the small island hospital and then send you to Miami for care. If you travel to a far distant location there's a chance that you will be seeking medical care in a faraway country.

We used St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures (SCUBA) as our dive op and they were excellent; we'll be back to STX!

What hoops are you thinking of?
I am considering the destination. :)

Here is some more info:
TCI Assured | Visit Turks and Caicos Islands

-Negative COVID test 5 days before travel
-Travel insurance covering COVID-19
-Uploading all info to TCI Assured portal and getting final approval before you are allowed to board flight for TCI.

Here is some more info:
TCI Assured | Visit Turks and Caicos Islands

-Negative COVID test 5 days before travel
-Travel insurance covering COVID-19
-Uploading all info to TCI Assured portal and getting final approval before you are allowed to board flight for TCI.

I am aware of these and they are relatively common for many destinations currently, was afraid it would be something crazier. Thank you! :)

Great! I posted that 2 months ago and a lot has changed in travel since-

We did the TCI Assured in August for our honeymoon and it was quite an adventure. Everything worked out great, but we heard horror stories of other people who were not prepared, and got turned away from flights.

If you do go, I recommend printing out every document for each individual, and highlighting the names, dates and approvals. It makes everything go much faster both when you check in for your flight (they will ask everyone to bring up documents prior to boarding beginning) and when you arrive to PLS airport. Some people were trying to use phones, iPads and laptops to show documents and it was a mess.

I hope you have a great trip if you go- there are a ton more resources on the TripAdvisor Turks and Caicos forum as well.

Great! I posted that 2 months ago and a lot has changed in travel since-

We did the TCI Assured in August for our honeymoon and it was quite an adventure. Everything worked out great, but we heard horror stories of other people who were not prepared, and got turned away from flights.

If you do go, I recommend printing out every document for each individual, and highlighting the names, dates and approvals. It makes everything go much faster both when you check in for your flight (they will ask everyone to bring up documents prior to boarding beginning) and when you arrive to PLS airport. Some people were trying to use phones, iPads and laptops to show documents and it was a mess.

I hope you have a great trip if you go- there are a ton more resources on the TripAdvisor Turks and Caicos forum as well.

This is great information, thanks! And congratulations on your marriage!

Thanks Kathy! We had a wonderful trip. Turks & Caicos is our favorite place

Back
Top Bottom