What are options to attach reel(s) to bottom of backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don’t remember where I bought them, but I have a couple of 2” ss rings that have a nut welded to them. I put a bolt through the bottom corner hole in the backplate and screw it to that. What I like about it is I can have it going out to the side or down to the bottom if I need to. Also can take them off in seconds if not needed. They were only a few bucks.

Don’t remember where I bought them, but I have a couple of 2” ss rings that have a nut welded to them. I put a bolt through the bottom corner hole in the backplate and screw it to that. What I like about it is I can have it going out to the side or down to the bottom if I need to. Also can take them off in seconds if not needed. They were only a few bucks.

+1. This is what I do.

If not a pocket or the back-crotch strap D-ring then you can use the slot or holes at the bottom corners of your plate.

I’m going to add 2 of those where the webbing goes behind the plate. Use them as the door handle on my SM rig

DGX Offset S/S Rigid D-Ring
Hopefully they are long enough to go below the wing.

Looking for different opinions on good options to attaching reel(s) to bottom of backplate so they are out of the way...vs using D ring on waist belt. ...
I used to have the same problem. I want a "1-hand, No-Look" attachment point. D-rings flop around and I wanted a solid fixed, point to clip off that was fixed to my plate and wouldn't move. I installed the "Ring-Nut" on the bottom left corner of my SS plate facing sideways and it works perfectly. No looking, no movement nor flopping. Rock solid and out of the way just like it's supposed to be.

Ring Nut - Set of 2

I used to have the same problem. I want a "1-hand, No-Look" attachment point. D-rings flop around and I wanted a solid fixed, point to clip off that was fixed to my plate and wouldn't move. I installed the "Ring-Nut" on the bottom left corner of my SS plate facing sideways and it works perfectly. No looking, no movement nor flopping. Rock solid and out of the way just like it's supposed to be.

Ring Nut - Set of 2

+1 - these also actually serve to guard the bottom of the wing from pinches as they extend below the wing.....

I use something like this as my buttplate:

full?d=1539873127.jpg

Double Offset D-Ring
It sits on my 2" crotch strap, just below the plate. I put a D-ring pointing down in the center, so I have three D's to clip off to. Tobin made a beautiful one, but in his absence I've had to look for other sources.

Attachments

• sonar_rigid_d-ring_double_offset_dx-602505.jpg
    sonar_rigid_d-ring_double_offset_dx-602505.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 30
My plate has holes on the bottom and I just attached my reel or SMB to the one on the bottom corner with a bolt snap. It is really out of the way and you dont need to worry about sitting on it.

Is this not an option for you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom