What are the accessories that you will always dive with, and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Apart from the obviously necessary items like mask, fins, cylinder, regulator, BC, weights etc., what are the diving accessories that you personally feel you must always dive with, and why ?

DSMB + reel
Cutting device.

Always carry a cutting device. Line, string, and rope, theres plenty of that in the sea, especially on wrecks.

If your not ascending up a shot a DSMB helps reduce the risk of cutting run over by a boat. It also lets the boat see you drifting. An inflated DSMB is also an excellent signalling device once on the surface.

I would say I normally carry a torch. For the obvious reason, and as a surface signalling device.

The closet thing to a "must have" in my book is a cutting device, but really if I'm in some protected marine area where the chance of encountering a line is low I'd dive without it.

The closet thing to a "must have" in my book is a cutting device, but really if I'm in some protected marine area where the chance of encountering a line is low I'd dive without it.
Agreed and not allowed in most.

As a vacation diver at Caribbean islands I only take a slate, small light, one line cutter and a small SMB for surface deployment (no spool... yet). These are all DM planned and led dives in calm, very clear water without much current (only GC and TCI so far). If I was to go drift diving (Cozumel) I'd look at getting and learning how to use a spool for submerged SMB deployment, and maybe pick up a signal mirror.

A flashlight to look into nooks and crannys.

Cutting tool and my Paralenz camera, either mounted to my mask or on a lanyard around my wrist.

Interesting one to consider adding to the list of good suggestions above- an adjustable spanner wrench.

Or something like this, which could solve a number of problems above, or potentially below water
Pandora Multi Tool + FREE Pouch

I prefer a 26pcs Harbor Freight ratchet set :wink:

You plan to work on your gear under water? What exactly might you repair?

My list is below in approximate order. Type/depth of dive changes/shortens the list dramatically.

cutting tool
dSMB+spool
Nautilus Lifeline
flashlight (or 3)
2nd Cutting tool
slate/pencil
pony bottle
spare mask
noise maker
probe/stick
rescue strobe
rescue mirror