What are the accessories that you will always dive with, and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apart from the obviously necessary items like mask, fins, cylinder, regulator, BC, weights etc., what are the diving accessories that you personally feel you must always dive with, and why ?

This is really dive environment and depth dependent.

Cave diving: A minimum 3 lights, a primary reel, two safety spools, and a nav kit of arrows and cookies. You need at least 3 lights in case of failures. You must always run a continuous guideline to open water/safe exit (depending upon agency) so a primary reel is essential. 2 safety spools in case you find yourself lost off the line. One to solve it. One just in case you need more line or have a problem with the first safety. And, a nav kit so you can mark lines properly under varying circumstances. A back-up light might also be used to mark the exit line during a team separation or act as a tie-off point if you are lost in the sand.

Tech diving: I carry a spare mask to find my way back to the anchor line or view my gauges/computer(s). A DSMB plus a spool to launch it to mark my position for surface craft. A compass. Wetnotes to have a board meeting. Spare necklace in case back-up regulator necklace breaks. A bolt snap with short loop line (or hose clip retainer) to secure a breakaway hose. Swiss Tech Micro-Max to fix screws on Goodman handle for the lighthead or shut off/turn on posts that have lost a hand wheel. Inflator service tool for hand wheels and BCD inflator.

Recreational diving: Any or all of the above. It just depends on dive.

Attachments

• FX-82002KIT_2.jpg
    FX-82002KIT_2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 141
  • swisstech._swiss-tech-micro-max-19-in-1-multitool-pocket-kit-key-ring.jpg
    swisstech._swiss-tech-micro-max-19-in-1-multitool-pocket-kit-key-ring.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 94
  • dive-rite-necklace.jpg
    dive-rite-necklace.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 193
  • hcr_1big.jpg
    hcr_1big.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 8428-swivel-eye-bolt-snap-ss-t316-3-length_1_640.jpg
    8428-swivel-eye-bolt-snap-ss-t316-3-length_1_640.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 76
I'd leave it alone, and maybe thumb the dive. Personal preferences.

Maybe we need a new thread "What would you attempt to fix without surfacing?" Might be a good discussion.

I know a lot of divers with this kinda tools in there wet notes. It's really nice for small fixes like leaks or tank valves (stuck or messed up knob). The chance of using it may be low, better safe then sorry tho.

I think its more of a tech/cave thing, there are a lot of situations were you cant just call a dive and surface.

Mesh bag. To pick up junk that doesn't belong in the lake.

It always amazes me to see how much shite is dumped 20-50 feet from the boat launch. WTF - it was full when you took it out, far lighter now. You can't bring it 10 feet from the ramp to your car or the waste bin? You really need to toss it overboard?

I also bring an exit marker. For day, a SMB with a weight attached that I partially fill and leave at a specific depth. For night a floating, flashing light with a weight that I deploy the same way. That way I can hit my exit precisely every time.

It always amazes me to see how much shite is dumped 20-50 feet from the boat launch.

Some of it is poorly stowed gear, I find sunglasses and fishing poles and other usefull items among the crap. A kind of reward for picking up the garbage I run across more often.

Bob

Reactions: Ana
My list is for boat dives, which is what I primarily do.

-Nautilus Lifeline just in case
-Primary cave reel that I tie to my anchor or boat
-dsmb
-lift bag for redundant buoyancy
-DIR knife

Since you're planning on doing Fundies next year, not sure if you have the required equipment list yet, which could be lots to prioritize if you're going to spread out your purchases, and depending on what you already have.

2.2.1.9 (A) Required Equipment for a Fundamentals-Recreational Rating:

GUE Base Configuration (Appendix A)
The GUE base equipment configuration is comprised of:
1. Tanks/cylinders: students may use a single tank/cylinder with a K-, H-, or Y-valve. Students may also use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual-outlet isolator manifold, which allows for the use of two first-stages. Consult course specific standards and your instructor to verify size requirements.
2. Regulators:
 Single tank: one second-stage regulator must supply a 5 to 7 foot/1.5 to 2 meter hose (2 meter long hose is required for all cave classes). The first stage must supply a pressure gauge, inflation for the buoyancy compensator (BC), and a means to inflate a drysuit where applicable.
 Double tank: one of two required first stages must supply a pressure gauge and provide inflation for a drysuit where applicable. The other second stage must supply a 5 to 7 foot/1.5 to 2 meter hose and an inflation source for the BC.
3. Backplate system:
 Should be held to the diver by one continuous piece of webbing. This webbing should be adjustable and should use a buckle to secure the system at the waist.
 A crotch strap is attached and looped through the waistband so as to prevent the system from riding up a diver’s back.
 The continuous webbing should support five d-rings;
o The first placed at the left hip
o The second placed in line with a diver’s right collarbone
o The third placed in line with the diver’s left collarbone
o The fourth and fifth are placed on the front and back of the crotch strap where divers plan to use advanced equipment like DPVs.
 The harness below the diver’s arms has small restrictive bands to allow for the placement of reserve lights. The webbing and system retains a minimalist approach.
4. Buoyancy compensation device (BC):
 A diver’s BC is back-mounted and minimalist in nature.
 It is free of extraneous strings, tabs, or other material.
 There are no restrictive bands or restrictive elastic affixed to the buoyancy cell.
 Wing size and shape is appropriate to the cylinder size(s) employed for training.
5. At least one time/depth measuring device.
6. Wrist-mounted compass.
7. Mask and fins: Mask is be low-volume; fins are rigid, non-split
8. At least one cutting device.
9. Wet Notes.
10. At least one surface marker buoy (SMB) with spool per diver.
11. Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure.
GUE Standards and Procedures, Version 7.2
Additional Course-Specific Equipment
1. Where required, bottom gas, decompression, or stage cylinders are marked in accord with GUE standards and configured in line with GUE protocol. They should be as close to neutral as possible with a relatively small swing from negative to positive during the use of the cylinder.
2. Where argon bottles are applicable, they should be sized appropriately for the environment; small tanks are placed on the backplate with larger supplies affixed to the diver’s left back gas tank.
3. Surface marker buoy: where required, the SMB should be appropriate for environmental conditions and deployed using a spool with at least 100 feet/30 meters of line.
4. One reserve mask is required for some classes.
5. Underwater lights:
 Where required, back-up lights should be powered by alkaline batteries (not rechargeable) and stowed on the d-rings at a diver’s chest.
 Reserve lights should have a minimal amount of protrusions and a single attachment at its rear.
 The primary light should consist of a rechargeable battery pack and be fitted with a Goodman-style light handle.
 Where burn time requirements create the need for an external battery pack, it should reside in a canister mounted to the diver’s right hip.
6. Guideline devices, as required during cave diving activities:
 A primary reel is required for all cave diving and provides a minimalist form factor with a handle designed to support a Goodman or “hands free” handle operation.
o The primary reel should contain at least 150 feet/45 meters.
 A safety spool is required for each diver while cave diving and should contain at least 150 feet/45 meters of line wrapped on a simple spool.
 A jump or gap spool is required during Cave 2 dives and should contain at least 75 feet/23 meters of line wrapped on a simple spool.

2.2.1.9 (B) Required Equipment for a Fundamentals-Technical Rating:

GUE base Configuration as outlined in Appendix A, plus:
1. GUE double tank configuration
2. Primary and back-up lights
3. Back-up mask

Prior to the commencement of class, students should consult with a GUE representative to verify equipment requirements and appropriateness of any selected equipment.

Since you're planning on doing Fundies next year, not sure if you have the required equipment list yet, which could be lots to prioritize if you're going to spread out your purchases, and depending on what you already have.

2.2.1.9 (A) Required Equipment for a Fundamentals-Recreational Rating:

GUE Base Configuration (Appendix A)
The GUE base equipment configuration is comprised of:
1. Tanks/cylinders: students may use a single tank/cylinder with a K-, H-, or Y-valve. Students may also use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual-outlet isolator manifold, which allows for the use of two first-stages. Consult course specific standards and your instructor to verify size requirements.
2. Regulators:
 Single tank: one second-stage regulator must supply a 5 to 7 foot/1.5 to 2 meter hose (2 meter long hose is required for all cave classes). The first stage must supply a pressure gauge, inflation for the buoyancy compensator (BC), and a means to inflate a drysuit where applicable.
 Double tank: one of two required first stages must supply a pressure gauge and provide inflation for a drysuit where applicable. The other second stage must supply a 5 to 7 foot/1.5 to 2 meter hose and an inflation source for the BC.
3. Backplate system:
 Should be held to the diver by one continuous piece of webbing. This webbing should be adjustable and should use a buckle to secure the system at the waist.
 A crotch strap is attached and looped through the waistband so as to prevent the system from riding up a diver’s back.
 The continuous webbing should support five d-rings;
o The first placed at the left hip
o The second placed in line with a diver’s right collarbone
o The third placed in line with the diver’s left collarbone
o The fourth and fifth are placed on the front and back of the crotch strap where divers plan to use advanced equipment like DPVs.
 The harness below the diver’s arms has small restrictive bands to allow for the placement of reserve lights. The webbing and system retains a minimalist approach.
4. Buoyancy compensation device (BC):
 A diver’s BC is back-mounted and minimalist in nature.
 It is free of extraneous strings, tabs, or other material.
 There are no restrictive bands or restrictive elastic affixed to the buoyancy cell.
 Wing size and shape is appropriate to the cylinder size(s) employed for training.
5. At least one time/depth measuring device.
6. Wrist-mounted compass.
7. Mask and fins: Mask is be low-volume; fins are rigid, non-split
8. At least one cutting device.
9. Wet Notes.
10. At least one surface marker buoy (SMB) with spool per diver.
11. Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure.
GUE Standards and Procedures, Version 7.2
Additional Course-Specific Equipment
1. Where required, bottom gas, decompression, or stage cylinders are marked in accord with GUE standards and configured in line with GUE protocol. They should be as close to neutral as possible with a relatively small swing from negative to positive during the use of the cylinder.
2. Where argon bottles are applicable, they should be sized appropriately for the environment; small tanks are placed on the backplate with larger supplies affixed to the diver’s left back gas tank.
3. Surface marker buoy: where required, the SMB should be appropriate for environmental conditions and deployed using a spool with at least 100 feet/30 meters of line.
4. One reserve mask is required for some classes.
5. Underwater lights:
 Where required, back-up lights should be powered by alkaline batteries (not rechargeable) and stowed on the d-rings at a diver’s chest.
 Reserve lights should have a minimal amount of protrusions and a single attachment at its rear.
 The primary light should consist of a rechargeable battery pack and be fitted with a Goodman-style light handle.
 Where burn time requirements create the need for an external battery pack, it should reside in a canister mounted to the diver’s right hip.
6. Guideline devices, as required during cave diving activities:
 A primary reel is required for all cave diving and provides a minimalist form factor with a handle designed to support a Goodman or “hands free” handle operation.
o The primary reel should contain at least 150 feet/45 meters.
 A safety spool is required for each diver while cave diving and should contain at least 150 feet/45 meters of line wrapped on a simple spool.
 A jump or gap spool is required during Cave 2 dives and should contain at least 75 feet/23 meters of line wrapped on a simple spool.

2.2.1.9 (B) Required Equipment for a Fundamentals-Technical Rating:

GUE base Configuration as outlined in Appendix A, plus:
1. GUE double tank configuration
2. Primary and back-up lights
3. Back-up mask

Prior to the commencement of class, students should consult with a GUE representative to verify equipment requirements and appropriateness of any selected equipment.

Thanks !

Yes, I had spotted this list on the GUE website.

Most items I already have in my possession, or have been ordered and are on the way, especially the most costly ones. :)

Of all courses i did from beginner to cave/tech, fundies was the best and most fun (and sometimes most frustrating) course i did. You will get a lot of info about what you need and what is recommended to bring with you.

My camera. I only leave it behind if the dive is pushing my limits, and every time I have left it behind I have somewhat regretted it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom