What are the best cave dives in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't specific enough either, so let me clarify...
Yes, Rick I know that... :)

I had done Catfish to Friedman's (via swimming upstream) several times before I did Friedman's to Catfish. So, I suspected that I could do Friedman's to Catfish long before reaching thirds. I took extra gas just to be extra safe the first dive, but haven't done it subsequent dives.

It's always eerie to me, because what if you put in at Friedman's headed to Catfish and before you get to the end, there's a collapse in the ceiling. You'd have to turn around. I'll look at my log book to see what I exited with on that Aluminum 80. I'm guessing I only used about 15 or 20cu' of air. Wearing double's if I had to turn around, I'm confident there would be no issue making it back, if I wasn't confident, I wouldn't do it, trust me.

EDIT* Ok, i've thoroughly read this thread again. That's what I get for trying to run 30 windows for work and surf the net at the same time....

This is what I got this time reading... and it makes sense...
UCF said he knew two divers making this dive and planning on 1/3's. Yup, that's incorrect. Don't dive thirds into a siphon. He's right on that point.

My point, with no eloquence or coherence whatsoever is... this dive is not a dive on 1/3's but realisticly probably 10th's.

I only used about 15 or 20cu' of air.
I must admit, I'm jealous of your SAC. Assuming you swam at 75fpm with an avg depth of 70ft, your sac is a .28. You're darn close to a world record.

It's usually .45896784 You don't gotta swim at Friedman's. And I said I was guessing.

*edit
And since you're the type to argue every single little point (just like me)...
I guessed at that sac rate. It's .45 something, I added the other numbers for effect... hehe

*edit again*
Looked at the dive log, puttsing along looking at everything interesting, this dive took 24 minutes. You're going to have to re-do your math now. Hehe. Average Depth was 58' --1712' in a siphon.

At any rate Moonglow. I'd suggest Ginnie, Manatee, Peacock, JB, Madison, and of the touristy places already mentioned here. If you need a buddy PM me.

You don't gotta swim at Friedman's.
Oh trust me, I know. I don't swim anywhere in that cave lol

Looked at the dive log, puttsing along looking at everything interesting, this dive took 24 minutes. You're going to have to re-do your math now. Hehe. Average Depth was 58' --1712' in a siphon.
24min makes it 71fpm swimming. I was close with my first guess. :D

Oh trust me, I know. I don't swim anywhere in that cave lol

24min makes it 71fpm swimming. I was close with my first guess. :D

that's about right depending on flow that day.

If you're coming to FL, you should do the Big Three: Ginnie, Peacock and Little River. If you're going for the Abe Davis award, and have never dove any of the big three... well, that ain't right some how. It's a rite of passage...

You're going to get some funny looks when you try to do a Trimix cave dive with someone and they find out you never even dove Ginnie.

Guys... not sure I understand all the chatter about Friedman's. After the first dive or two, I thought everyone went in at Friedman's, swam up stream, turned and came out at the headspring. It's not like you're gonna miss the exit or something, and as SL27 was saying, 1/3rds ain't an issue either.

You're going to get some funny looks when you try to do a Trimix cave dive with someone and they find out you never even dove Ginnie.

Thats actually a point of pride of mine... 50+ systems in FL(I know I'm a liar, there's only 10 in FL) and Devils Ear/Eye ain't one of em. It won't be either.

Thats actually a point of pride of mine... 50+ systems in FL(I know I'm a liar, there's only 10 in FL) and Devils Ear/Eye ain't one of em. It won't be either.

Well, I don't doubt you have 50+ systems for even a second. I see you everywhere: CaveDiver forum, Deco Stop and here, that's three right there. :rofl3:

Just kidding... I know you're a very active cave diver. I'm curious, what's the objection to Devil's? Don't you feel like you have to see it just once?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom