What are the biggest challenges for female divers compared to men?

What is your biggest challenge when diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need a 38 shell. You can cut the hole with a pair of nail scissors, or burn it with a soldering gun. I've done both. What's important is just not to make it too big. Or you can have a shop install the p-valve, if you're the nervous sort and poking holes in your dry suit doesn't sit well with you :)

Don't take Fundamentals in gear you aren't comfortable in -- there's no point. Dive the gear until you are happy with your ability to manage it, and then take the class. I think a very reasonable litmus test for readiness is whether you can hover and switch regulators, without losing buoyancy, trim, or position.

As far as weakness goes, it's fixable, at least to some extent. I couldn't get out of the pool seven years ago with an Al50 on my back; now I climb boat ladders in double steels. In my case, it hasn't been gym time -- it's been hauling dive gear! But a lot of people don't get to dive as much as I do, so that may not be a good option. But gyms are everywhere, and if you are doing squats and leg pushes and lifts, you WILL get stronger. If I could do it, starting at 52, anybody can.

one day, my drysuit will be dry. fml.howeves, i think i've pretty much covered all the 'improbable' equipment failures in both the PADI and SSI books *while* wearing a princess sleepy-time diaper. f-ing literally. and still acting :cool2:.

but weak, but :cool2:.

:rofl3:

I share the sentiment of a lot of you here about the amount of weight - I am a slender person with an even more slender neck so I had to have my drysuit custom-made - I couldn't find a rental suit that a neck seal that didn't leak profusely! I don't give a ratbutt about fashion - if it works, that's what I want. Weight is an issue because I'm always cold (even above water) and I dive in British Columbia where the average water temperature all year round is between 6-8 Celcius...so....lots of undergarments, which translates to a lot of weight to get me down and because I do a lot of shore diving, walking up and down the hills and on slippery rocks looking like a puff pastry weighed down is a bit challenging.

I am blessed that the guys I dive with are awesome - they don't treat me any differently and only offer help if I ask for it. A great group.

Upper body strength when boat diving in choppy seas is a bit tough - hanging on with all my gear on when the dive ladder is banging after every wave...

Having said all this, I LOVE diving.:cool3:

Man, seeing this thread pop up tonight was totally appropriate! I did a dive site today that involved a moderately long walk down a very steep trail to a large beach made of loose, round stones. By the time I got myself, my gear and my scooter down there, did two dives (one of which involved walking a long way down the beach) and made the three trips necessary to haul my stuff back up, I was all in. I am going to be sore tomorrow!

I watched my 20 year old dive buddy walk up the trail in doubles, with his scooter on his shoulder, and I hated him a little . . .

Oh and pee valves. As one of the ones who has not mastered the she-p yet i envy the simplicity of there donning a pee valve.

Gad I wish there was an easier option than the She-Pee, and no, going trans-gender is not an option, nor wearing diapers!! I take the issue of being well hydrated seriously, but peeing in a drysuit or wetsuit is never an option!

---------- Post Merged on October 5th, 2012 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was on October 4th, 2012 at 11:48 PM ----------

I'm just getting into doubles, and I would love it if one of you more experienced women would write a guide on tricks to handle storage, transportation, etc, all of the times when you have to lift or move them, and they are not on your back.

I have seen one of our male tek divers use a dolly to haul his doubles :wink:

---------- Post Merged on October 5th, 2012 at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was on October 4th, 2012 at 11:48 PM ----------

I'm with you, Cindy -- I love color, and wish I could find more of it. I've been tempted to take the skin from my Fusion to a tailor, to see if I can get some COLORFUL Lycra sewn up the same way.

I use a yellow wing and yellow harness webbing for my doubles, and I have yellow hibiscus flowers on my light canister.

Color, yes. Pink because it's "girly", heck NO.

When I bought my USIA drysuit and saw I could get blue Hawaiian flowers on the wrists I said #€££ ya!! My basic black on the rest is fine, but by gosh I wanted to be noticed as a girl diver because I dove back in the mid-70's when women still were looked down upon in the sport cuz we were ....women. I'm outttta the closet now!!!!

---------- Post Merged on October 5th, 2012 at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was on October 4th, 2012 at 11:48 PM ----------

-Does anyone have a suggestion for a cart I could strap gear to? Some of the dives around here (so I've heard) include a 3/4 hike.

"www.beachbuddy.com" makes one but I'm a little skeptical about it. I've had two surgeries on my right shoulder so with my steel 100hp and 20 lbs of lead, I have issues for entries that are hard to get to. Maybe we just need a jacked up truck and just boulder our way right down to the beach, hope the guys notice the girls with the nice truck and common sense instead of watching them pop Aleve like it was candy to help their backs from hauling doubles!

---------- Post Merged on October 5th, 2012 at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was on October 4th, 2012 at 11:48 PM ----------

Man, seeing this thread pop up tonight was totally appropriate! I did a dive site today that involved a moderately long walk down a very steep trail to a large beach made of loose, round stones. By the time I got myself, my gear and my scooter down there, did two dives (one of which involved walking a long way down the beach) and made the three trips necessary to haul my stuff back up, I was all in. I am going to be sore tomorrow!

I watched my 20 year old dive buddy walk up the trail in doubles, with his scooter on his shoulder, and I hated him a little . . .

I would have asked for help, even though I argue with myself when I do. I don't want to show signs of weakness....but I've heard the critters respond well to food incentives.....

What I realized yesterday is that I've gotten quite accustomed to having somebody offer to help, and although I usually say, "No, I can do it!", I let them. (I think I will stop with the disclaimer now, and just admit that I am old.) But I just couldn't find it in myself to ask for help, if somebody didn't already offer. Should've -- I clearly still have life lessons in humility to learn :)

As a husband and father, I would like the girls/ladies to KNOW.... it's not a big deal to ask for help... Hell... I need to ask for help now that age and broken body have come to pass...

Jim...

Putting up w/male divers !!!!!...Especially the ones who think women aren't capable.......

I really wish there was a dislike for this statement. And I hate to see that many likes. It appears sexism isn't just for men. A negative attitude like this perpetuates the issue. Not all men think women can't perform. I've asked for help with gear from women as well as men. I wish more women would dive. My wife will be certified shortly and I'm stoked.

Sent from my wife's iPad using Tapatalk

What I realized yesterday is that I've gotten quite accustomed to having somebody offer to help, and although I usually say, "No, I can do it!", I let them. (I think I will stop with the disclaimer now, and just admit that I am old.) But I just couldn't find it in myself to ask for help, if somebody didn't already offer. Should've -- I clearly still have life lessons in humility to learn :)

Alas, yes, it can, perhaps, maybe be an age thing, but thou shalt not admit it!!:D

Back
Top Bottom