What are the specific differences between XTX 50 versions 2012/2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am shopping for my first reg, and have pretty much narrowed it down to the XTX50. However, side by side, what are the differences between the prior version and the 2013 version? In the store, the purge button on the 2013 is awesome, I love it, but beyond that? Since I am new, if I were to have both, would I feel a difference between them?

Old versions are $399, and the 2013 is $539. Are there enough changes to spend the extra money? I was looking originally at the XTX200 but have been talked out of it by a few instructors as they say the 50 is the solid way to go for the average diver. Save the money between the two and get the octo.

Would you be willing to show a comparison chart or something for those of us interested?

Thanks in advance,

-Trance

In addition to the 1st and 2nd stage cosmetic improvements, the 2013 models offer the following:

* A larger, two-stage progressive purge (two different purge flow rates)
* The ergonomics of the control knob and venturi switch have been improved
* Now has a braided "Flexi" hose
* The whole 2nd stage is now anti-bacterial rather than just the mouthpiece
* The XTX200 and XTX100 1st stages (FSR & FST type) have improved gas flow and balancing which allows them to accept an optional 5th medium pressure port which can be advantages for double cylinders.

Thank you for your quick response. The 2013 model is the one I'll be choosing. Your post seemed a bit more detailed than what I've found elsewhere and more than local explanations.

In addition to the 1st and 2nd stage cosmetic improvements, the 2013 models offer the following:

* A larger, two-stage progressive purge (two different purge flow rates)
* The ergonomics of the control knob and venturi switch have been improved
* Now has a braided "Flexi" hose
* The whole 2nd stage is now anti-bacterial rather than just the mouthpiece
* The XTX200 and XTX100 1st stages (FSR & FST type) have improved gas flow and balancing which allows them to accept an optional 5th medium pressure port which can be advantages for double cylinders.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...can't say I'm feeling the cosmetics. Would be keen to have a closer look though, often hard to judge from pictures alone.

Cheers for the info.

Back
Top Bottom