What are these (fairly basic) things? Photos included.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thespoons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, I'm a newbie, so I'm still trying to learn some basic creature/coral identification. I love buying the plastic cards, but often the drawings don't match up to the reality. I'm in the process of buying the Reef Set books, but until then it's really bugging me not to put names to these faces. These are from pictures using a cheap underwater disposable, so the quality isn't the greatest. I took them last week in Bonaire.

First, I'm trying to figure out the large wavy thing on the left:
4664230167_c44b9cff87.jpg

(Larger image here)
I had thought it was a gorgonian but I realized later that's not right. Gorgonians are stiff, right? And then there's the thing in front of the sea fan. (Edit: I'm thinking it's a Sea Whip now.)

Likewise, the large colony on the front-right of here:
4664233881_8f93b88002.jpg

(Edit: I'm thinking it's also a Sea Whip.)

And how about this large coral on the top-right:
4664853640_8dda63a3b4.jpg

Moutainous star coral?

Lastly, how about the big thing here:
4664226837_5814f19fc0.jpg

I really should take those identification classes...

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Last edited:
Yep, buy a set of Human's books. Mine are at home or I would try to help.

As I said, I'm in the process of buying the Reef Set (the Humann books). :)

First 2 photos are indeed gorgonians: Sea Plumes (Pseudopterogorgia spp.)
and probably Sea Whips, Pterogorgia spp. or Sea Rods, Pseudoplexaura spp.

3rd photo the hard coral in the upper right is probably Lobed Star Coral, Monastraea annularis.

4th photo looks like a rope sponge to me.

Corals are hard to ID. You should also take a macro shot of the polyps, open and closed to help get better ID's.

Also, next time, please post in the "Name That Critter" subforum to get more focused attention.

Thanks! Dang, I looked for a "name that critter" type forum and I just couldn't find it. This explains some of my difficulties finding various critters in the wild as well...

And as far as macro lens, maybe next time. So far, we only have cheap disposable underwater cameras. No habla macro. :D

If a moderator sees this, please do me a favor and move it to the critter forum if you don't mind. Thanks!

Name that Critter - ScubaBoard

You were very close.
This thread was in Marine Science and Physiology
Go toward the top of the page and you should find the link back to Marine Science and Physiology (just to the left of where it says Welcome thespoons). Click on that.
A few inches down you should see a link for the Marine Life and Ecosystems forum, and under that the Name that Critter subforum.

Back
Top Bottom