What are things you wish you could tell your past self (SCUBA RELATED)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There will be a global pandemic in 2020 and you won’t be able to travel to dive for over a year or even two, so use every bit of your annual leave and dive, dive, dive....

Out of curiosity, how much was that 12 week course back then? Translate to today's dollars?

The fifteen-week (one semester) open water course here at my local public state AAU university is priced at three college credit hours--whatever that amount is this semester. And you need bring only your bathing suit!

rx7diver

Start diving as a teen or college student and travel the world as a dive guide. Live on the bare necessities and see the world.

But since I started when I was almost 50 ... don't buy all that expensive gear the salesman recommends. He's upselling you stuff you'll NEVER need! I got this jacket BC that can hold way more weight than I'll ever need in warm water and I hated it. I think we dropped $6K on gear between the two of us as soon as we were certified, and I don't think we use any of it other than the regulators now.

You don't need an expensive computer to dive.

Don't get the split fins. They're not helpful in current (at least not for you). Don't buy the ScubaPro Jets - they're too heavy and you'll end up in a heads up position all the time.

Learn to do a frog kick - or some version of it - early.

Stop chasing sharks - you can't catch them and you're just burning up your tank. Slow down and 'smell the roses'. It's not a race.

Hand finning doesn't do much to help propel you in any direction - but your brain doesn't know that - so when you fin like crazy you'll still bump into people and coral, sink, float - learn how to use your lungs and feet fins to control your placement in the water column.

Out of curiosity, how much was that 12 week course back then? Translate to today's dollars?
The twelve week SCUBA DIVER certification was $125 for the NAUI program at a local Y. The three open water dives cost, I think, $35 plus rental ($25) and were done on a single tank. Total $185 in 1980 or $590 in today’s dollars and be the equivalent of AOW. The Assistant Instructor course was a college class and was covered by tuition and my tank was filled at no cost.

Take the darn class 20+ years sooner.

If you live somewhere will frozen lakes/seas 3-6 months a year, buy a drysuit from day 1. A very high-quality, warm semidry was a waste of money, happiness, comfort and dive time. Don’t make that mistake.

Don't bother with a new bcd jacket.
Buy a Back plate. Make back plate extension sooner to move waistband lower so its easier to get to d rings.

Obviously everyone went nuts on the silly stuff (bitcoin, jobs, stocks, relationships) on the last thread. This time SCUBA-related stuff only...

For example, I'd tell my past self to only buy hard weights rather than soft weights. I'd also tell myself to put less money into a cheaper snorkel (preferably foldable).

Go cave as soon as possible.

Having only experienced the cenotes of the Yucatán in my early 60’s (I am 71), I wish I had pursued cave in my 30’s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom