What are things you wish you could tell your past self?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it took me 23 years to realize that competitive waterskiing, scuba diving and a good paying job were prerequisites for a wife/gf.

Sticking to diving ... thanks to Scubaboard I went with a BP/W, DIN regs and long-hose from day one. Best diving decisions I ever made thanks to researching my purchases primarily on Scubaboard. I haven't regretted those decisions in 630+ dives.

The key thing I would add is to dive more, train less and meticulously research my instructors. I learned a great deal and enjoyed many of the courses that I took but there were also some completely worthless POS courses from some lousy instructors. Those were a complete waste of time and money.

- Yes, the difficult trade-offs between the rec, tec-lite, and tech jackets on display with different pocket sizes and D-ring counts is a hard one to pick best at. Just get the BP/W over in the corner, it's really an adjustable BC erector set in disguise.
- Find someone that teaches neutral buoyant and in trim.
- An LP27 might look like a trial LP50 for sidemount and is short for travel as a pony, but just go right to the LP50s sidemount and get an AL19 if needed for travel.

(non-scuba: Ask that bright girl out, even if she's only interested in skin-diving and you're overworked. Dumb ass!)

Anyone who give you 38 pounds of weight is likely trying to kill you. Fire them.
How about 36 lbs? That's how much I had in my open water class. I didn't discover later how many things we skipped. The only time we left the line was to do the CESA (where I breathed in a few times) and do the out and back.

Anyone who give you 38 pounds of weight is likely trying to kill you. Fire them.
Unless you need that much. I use 42 pounds (7 mil farmer john, AL80 tank). My PPB instructor (a MSDT) was amazed back in 2007 that I needed that much. Two instructors on the staff here use about 38 pounds when diving wet (don't know what they use dry).

Don't punch the Boatswain's Mate [when you are the Quartermaster on watch] during the middle watch on the bridge wing of a DDG,
it slows down your promotion to Petty Officer [your E6], my "Boss" said "the tall streak of pelican $h!* needed that, and he is 8" taller then you, well done"...But....And it was a Big but of years.
The funny thing is ' the streak' trained to be a diver not long after, and we became mates.

I wish I'd bought a powerball ticket with the numbers 2-28-31-44-52-18 last week.

Also, don't believe the prick at the babbages store when he tells you that they don't make books on assembly language.

How about 36 lbs? That's how much I had in my open water class. I didn't discover later how many things we skipped. The only time we left the line was to do the CESA (where I breathed in a few times) and do the out and back.

I think that counts :) -

Unless you need that much. I use 42 pounds (7 mil farmer john, AL80 tank).

The exception proves the rule? I've never used a farmer john, but that still seems heavy to me. FWIW, I dive ~16 lbs in the same setup today.

Back
Top Bottom