What are you paying for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KTA

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to the sport and have been looking around at some of the gear and i have noticed huge price differences in regulators. What are you paying for between a $150 regulator and a $500 regulator. Is it really worth all that much more?

Yes there is a very large difference. Diving is one sport where the higher price most often results in increased quality and performance rather than an effective marketing and sales department.

As I was talking with a new diver today, regulators are one things that you don't want to skimp on price wise. And the choice of which one really does depend on the style of diving you are (or will be) doing.

All regulators can deliver air at 30-50 feet for recreational dive at a good rate with acceptable resistance. But it's the upper end of the scale (such as the Poseidens for example) that can deliver air at 100 feet and deeper for technical dives with minimal resistance. If you see yourself to be a hardcore diver (as in diving all the time, and eventually learning techical diving) then taking a good hard look at the upper end is worth your time and eventual money.

Hopefully this answers your question in part.

Now if you tell us what sorts of diving you are doing now, and aspire to in the future, we might be able to suggest some brands/models for you to investigate.

--TM (I'd rather be....under the sea....in an octupus' garden...)

well, i'm not even half done with the class yet, but i imagine that my diving would be purely recreational in nature. I would probably go just periodically, and would usually be in colder waters, lakes and ocean shores in the New Hampshire area.

Rodale's has a gear review section on their website, and they've reviewed a bunch of regs. Some of the lower priced ones perform as well as many of the more expensive models, at least on their tests. For the diving you describe, I don't know if the upper end is all that important. It's hard to find a bad reg, these days, imho. Of course, you could see if your LDS will let you try a couple out in the pool. Although, that wouldn't tell you how they perform at depth.

Rodale's

Get the very best you can afford. A regulator is not the piece of equipment you want to be skimping on. When your in demand for air, you want a regulator that will deliver. Regardless of what type of diving you will be doing, get the best regulator you can. You will be glad you did.

Dive Safe ………………Arduous

KTA, yes, the price differences are there for a reason. This is an obvious matter which pervades our market society. You get what you pay for. For more money you will get more complexity in the formm of external adjustments, and more internal parts designed to allow you to dive to 400 feet.

Does this matter to you as a recreational diver? Probably not, and if you are shopping for a moderately priced regulator, fear not. Just make sure that you purchase a brand name. If in doubt, check the Rodale's website. Occasionally, they find that a particular product, imported from a third world country perhaps, is not up to snuff. However, the average low end reg will deliver sufficient air and low breathing effort to dive below 130 feet, far below.

A significant portion of the price of a USA made regulator is liability insurance. They can not afford to make a bad regulator. Ocassionally someone slips up and there is a recall. This is most likely to occur with new models. Moreover, the problem is actually more likely to occur with high end regulators which are more complicated and employing novel features to compete in the latest market segment.

Pricing reflects the general retail/wholesale seesaw common throughout the industry. Some regs are discounted more than others. Still, you end up with what you pay for. That's OK. A simpler, less expensive brand name reg will be fine, all else being equal; and, it's fun to get a discount.

Most commonly heard is the argument that if you buy something simple and reliable, but unsophisticated, you will be forced to upgrade at some point in time. That may be true. However, the impetus for this is "new toys for boys" and social pressure to "fit in". It doesn't become a technical matter unless you graduate to trimix gas or cave diving which is to say, not until you plan a moontrip.

Check out the Aqualung and Oceanic lines for moderate pricing of quality regs. There are others.

With a question like this, you have to compare high retail to high retail to get a decent answer. However, it isn't that easy either. Price doesn't necessarily equate to better performance and reliability. There are a lot gimmicks out there that cost a lot, but are basically worthless or unnecessary. Do a lot of research before buying a reg, and you'll find that you can buy a top quality reg used by elite groups of tech divers for less than a lot of regs on the market.

Ya gotta be careful with scuba equipment. Don't fall for a sales pitch or gimmicks.

:)

Mike

It depends on what type diving you'll be doing. I purchased a Sherwood Magnum in 1983. It's a great regulator and I still use it. I don't use it for all my dives because it isn't suited for all my dives. If I'm diving shallow or there's no chance I'll have to share air with an inexperienced buddy on a deep dive, it's a great choice. Nothing goes wrong with it. If I'm diving deep (100'+) and I need to share air it can be a problem as it won't deliver enough air for 2 people taking a breath at the same time at that depth. Even then, it'll be OK as I can time my inhalations to match my buddy's exhalations.

Most divers don't need a high performance regulator. Like Lost Yooper says, "Don't fall for a sales pitch or gimmicks."

thanks guys, the info has been very helpful, ill have to check out that rodale's site.

You did mention tat you will be diving in te colder waters of the north. (New Hampshire huh? I expect a few dips in Lake Winapinoke are in our future).

It is important then to make sure the reg you select is rated for cold water diving and has some sort of heat exchange in the first stage.

Many of the people here, including myself, dive the Apeks line of regulators. These are higher end regulators that are environmentally sealed and have very good heat echange systems for colder waters.

Additonally, you should be aware that you can often find the higher priced regulators like the Apeks brands online for up and beyond 50% off retail. Some sites include Leisurepro.com and Diveinn.com

Although, many may recomend against buying life support equipment online so it is important that you shop smart. No one I know yet has had a problem with life support equipment from these two sources but it couldnt hurt to have anything purchased through these two vendors inspected before use.

SpyderTek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom