What are your 3 favorite pieces of SCUBA Gear???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1: Bare Nexgen drysuit. It's the cheapest suit you can get, but fantastic value. Folds compact for travel, not hot if I don't wear much underneath, rear entry very practical with good shoulder mobility. Everything I need, nothing I don't.

2: Spare Air. Has a bad reputation around here due to very limited capacity, but it's just such a handy product! Bottle, valve, 1st stage, gauge, 2nd stage, all in one compact little package, always on, no hoses flopping. It even comes with it's own fill station.

3: Air2 inflator / octo combo. Why have both, with two hoses, when they could be the same unit? I have to donate my primary to my buddy if he needs it, and take it out of my mouth to dump air from the BC, but those are both acceptable compromises. It seems like such an obvious idea, and the Scubapro product happens to be super nice in both roles.

and take it out of my mouth to dump air from the BC, but those are both acceptable compromises..

You can't use the rear dump while you're on the Spare Air?

You can't use the rear dump while you're on the Spare Air?
Yes, the pull-cable dump valve is hooked up and works, but I can't pull on it while holding the unit in my mouth. As long as I have to hold my breath to dump air anyway, I might as well just use the regular exhaust valve. It's the big weakness of the whole idea: in an emergency, there's this little extra task load of controlling buoyancy in an unfamiliar way, while probably making a hasty ascent. (Don't pop your lungs!) I've practiced a few times and am quite confident about it, but it might be a problem as part of a rental fleet.

Yes, the pull-cable dump valve is hooked up and works, but I can't pull on it while holding the unit in my mouth. .

Your BC doesn't have a dump on the bottom?

Your BC doesn't have a dump on the bottom?
Nope. My independent doubles rig has one, but that setup needs double secondaries anyway. The rig with the Air2 is an old Aeris Atmos poodle jacket with a screw-off drain at the bottom but no valve. I would probably be upright and heading for the surface in the sort of situation I would use the Air2 in anyway.

Accel bungee straps. Available in half a dozen different colours at an amazon near you (but you have to also get those little triangular bits).

To think about it:
1&2. Pinnacle merino undies (tops and bottoms so they count as 2). Good under a wetsuit as well as any other suit.
3. "Lightweight" "tactical" kufiah. Bought as a piece of scuba gear: for the Caribbean sun out on boats. Also works as a towel, face mask on planes full of patient-0's, scarf when it's getting colder but yet too warm for wool, and it's almost big enough to wrap around the butt and change the shorts without offending anyone's sensibilities. Well, maybe just a crack.

Your FAVORITE scuba equipment is a bikini, scarf, and a towel......GOOD GOD no wonder we had run ins in the past.....lord almighty ...at least that scarf can as you say almost cover your butt.

very interesting.....

or not

Back
Top Bottom