What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wait for them to bang the ladder for at least ten minutes, lol

you can sort of tell how mad they are by how fast they bang....

I'm currently working on an article about a scuba accident where assistance was delayed because other divers chose to ignore the recall signal.

She died before help could get to her ... but hey ... nobody else had their dive cut short ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm sure all types of things are blamed when somebody dies...

My last quarter of the dive is almost always with SMD deployed..just to be polite to the captain

another vote for SMB, in fact divers w/o SMB are annoying for captains, and could be fatal too

Lack of tollerance of others.
Really pisses me off.

I'm sure all types of things are blamed when somebody dies...

My last quarter of the dive is almost always with SMD deployed..just to be polite to the captain

another vote for SMB, in fact divers w/o SMB are annoying for captains, and could be fatal too

Banging on the ladder is generally used for diver recalls. A recall signal is not "optional" ... it's to be regarded as a command signal ... and delaying your ascent for a recall can have serious consequences for your safety or someone else's.

If I were a boat captain and someone ignored a recall signal, that person would never be allowed on my boat again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: CPH
Absolutely!!!

The thought of those that have not experienced diving Yet!!!

Oh your referring to something else?

The most important thing I'd dwell about is the lack of realization of not caring the underwater environment. While diving apart from safety the top priority are the "coral reefs"

At two 2cm growth rate per year. man has destroyed the beauty of our oceans in the top dive places in the world.
Look do not touch!!! Keep distance by at least a meter...

The other is the disturbance of the Marine Life. same philosophy
Look do not touch or feed!
these species are independent of humans as we intervene within their world we are cause them stress. While we visit the underwater world we must oblige by their rules. After all they've been around for millions of year. They're accustomed to a different life. As we visit. We must keep space and not intervene and spoil their evolution of the nature they have succumb.

The interest in diving has come to our attention because of the lack of knowledge underwater. As we've seen the underwater world we've become overwhelmed by the marine life. Which the main attraction for visiting this abyss of mysteries.

Have fun diving for now for our generations to come.....

co-founder of the EPP & Research

Banging on the ladder is generally used for diver recalls. A recall signal is not "optional" ... it's to be regarded as a command signal ... and delaying your ascent for a recall can have serious consequences for your safety or someone else's.

If I were a boat captain and someone ignored a recall signal, that person would never be allowed on my boat again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Where I come from they bang almost everyday because they just want to go to lunch....and everybody knows it

btw, what was the cause of death? Could you not make the same argument then, that 'for safety" people must dive in one group and only close to shore?
Also, how far away can you hear a knife on a ladder, just curious?
What I have noticed, over the years, is that people always try to blame all types of things when somebody dies.
Of course, anybody with a boat must make their own dicernments! For me, it was people that liked to talk about lawsuits, or settlements, for example.

I always wait for them to bang the ladder for at least ten minutes, lol

you can sort of tell how mad they are by how fast they bang....

10 minutes?
That's not cool. If the boat is recalling divers, you just need to get your behind up there right away no matter how much you hate it.
You can choose not to dive with them next time if they were just banging coz they want to go home early.
You can't ignore it.

Where I come from they bang almost everyday because they just want to go to lunch....and everybody knows it

btw, what was the cause of death? Could you not make the same argument then, that 'for safety" people must dive in one group and only close to shore?
Also, how far away can you hear a knife on a ladder, just curious?
What I have noticed, over the years, is that people always try to blame all types of things when somebody dies.
Of course, anybody with a boat must make their own dicernments! For me, it was people that liked to talk about lawsuits, or settlements, for example.

Perhaps your boat has different protocols than those I've dived on ... a recall signal is always defined, and it's most often banging on the dive ladder, because the ladder protrudes well into the water and produces a sound that can be heard for long distances.

The cause of death was drowning ... and the details would take a while to explain. Basically, they needed to get some divers to the surface in a hurry to assist, and none responded in time to help.

A recall is generally a rare occurrance ... it's not something that should be used to "go to lunch" ... but it IS something that should elicit an immediate response from all divers to surface as quickly as they safely can ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom