What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can deal with hand-swimming, instability and poor trim in new divers, because in many cases, proper trim, buoyancy and motionless stability in the water is an "unknown unknown" and you just don't know what you don't know. We were all there once, so I can understand.

What pisses me off is when they are exposed to all these principles, are shown a path to higher proficiency in the water, are given the tools to improve, and then blow it off and don't give a crap about improving.

"Aw, that looks too hard, it looks like work, I don't need to be THAT good in the water, I just wanna dive on vacation."

Then they rototill the bottom, wrecking everyone's visibility, scare the marine life, and if on coral, kill the marine life.

These skills aren't about "looking cool in the water", it's about protecting and conserving the environment and also not being a potential liability. When I see a flailing diver, I don't know if they're just diving, or having a situation.

Which relates to poor team skills, since all their available bandwidth is being taken up just being underwater breathing. But that's a whole 'nuther topic.

People who brush up against my fins. It sounds weird but it gets to me BADLY.

So you have your shnozz up in my fins, now I can't kick. So I'll just move away from you so that I can kick again ... OH WAIT, I CAN'T MOVE WITHOUT KICKING.

I dive in a lot of kelp and every so often I get that "someone's face in my fins" feeling but it turns out it is justa piece of kelp. *sigh*

Irrational, I know, but it gets to me.

I know what you mean! when that happens, I feel the same way. If i kick again Ill kick his face, if I dont, I won't fix the problem!

Since I'm still new to all this "underwater excitement", I don't have too many pet peeves yet. But, with that being said. I am sick and tired of the weather ruining my dives. I've made two trips to Key Largo over the last couple of months to dive the Speigel Grove. This will complete my AOW class and make me sooooooo happy. Both times the dive had to be cancelled due to high seas. To paraphrase a recent Honda Motorcycle advertisement....."I wanna dive!!!!!!"

It's a wolf eel ... which isn't an eel at all. It's the world's largest blenny. The males get up to about 9-10 feet long. The one in the picture is a full-grown male. They're so ugly they're cute (kinda like an old Walter Mathau on a really bad day) ... here's what the whole fish looks like ...

IMG_0619.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

WOW! this is awesome.

It's a wolf eel ... which isn't an eel at all. It's the world's largest blenny. The males get up to about 9-10 feet long. The one in the picture is a full-grown male. They're so ugly they're cute (kinda like an old Walter Mathau on a really bad day) ... here's what the whole fish looks like ...

IMG_0619.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Quite a difference from the wolf fish in the New England area. Great picture!

My biggest pet peeves are the divers who always have to "one-up" everyone on the boat. They always have to be the best, have the most expensive equipment, go to the most exotic locations. Everything is a contest to them. You simply cannot beat these people; They always have to be better than you. You have 1000 dives, well they have 10,000 dives! Nevermind the fact, they just started diving two years ago. Your computer cost $400, well their computer cost $1000 and is way better than yours. Your a divemaster? Well, my friend Joe Shmo is a techical XYZ instructor and he says you're doing it wrong.

I don't mean to say that people don't have a right to be proud of their accomplishments if in fact they're true. Everyone is known to embellish a little here and there but some people take this to the extreme. I have no problem with people telling stories if they're true.

I always find the quieter, less macho-type people that usually have nothing to prove are the better divers. Their skills show in their diving and they don't need to brag about spending X amount on gear or how many dives they have.

Since I'm still new to all this "underwater excitement", I don't have too many pet peeves yet. But, with that being said. I am sick and tired of the weather ruining my dives. I've made two trips to Key Largo over the last couple of months to dive the Speigel Grove. This will complete my AOW class and make me sooooooo happy. Both times the dive had to be cancelled due to high seas. To paraphrase a recent Honda Motorcycle advertisement....."I wanna dive!!!!!!"

I also am very new. I posted this to see what really Peeves other divers so I know not to do it myself :D

Quite a difference from the wolf fish in the New England area. Great picture!

My biggest pet peeves are the divers who always have to "one-up" everyone on the boat. They always have to be the best, have the most expensive equipment, go to the most exotic locations. Everything is a contest to them. You simply cannot beat these people; They always have to be better than you. You have 1000 dives, well they have 10,000 dives! Nevermind the fact, they just started diving two years ago. Your computer cost $400, well their computer cost $1000 and is way better than yours. Your a divemaster? Well, my friend Joe Shmo is a techical XYZ instructor and he says you're doing it wrong.

I don't mean to say that people don't have a right to be proud of their accomplishments if in fact they're true. Everyone is known to embellish a little here and there but some people who take this to the extreme. I have no problem with people telling stories if they're true.

I always find the quieter, less macho-type people that usually have nothing to prove are the better divers. Their skills show in their diving and they don't need to brag about spending X amount on gear or how much many dives they have.

AHHH yess! I greatly dislike that attitude. I havn't run into it with diving yet, but those people are just ANNOYING!! :m16:

"Dilbert" refers to them as "Toppers". No matter what you say, they've done it more, longer, faster, better, cheaper . . .

Next time you run into one, tell him/her, "I donated a kidney." :giggle:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom