What are your favorite easy wreck dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subic Bay has loads of wrecks including four aircraft wrecks such as this Japanese version of a C47

full

And a Douglas Skyraider

full

NC has lots of wrecks. One of my favorites is the Hyde. It sits upright in 85 feet of water and was sunk as part of the artificial reef program. The last time I dove it we had exceptional visibility of about 75 feet horizontal. Heck, the worst I've seen it is about 45-50 feet. It's about 18 miles offshore. We went out with Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington. There are a lot of other wrecks in the area but the only other one I've done there is the John D Gill. It also lies in about 85 feet of water, but it is almost unrecognizable as a ship. It was sunk by a German sub during WWII. At one time, a buoy with a concrete anchor was place beside it to mark the site. However, a hurricane come thru several years ago, dragging the concrete anchor thru the ship, ripping it in half. The ship (or at least the bow section) is now nothing more than a pile of twisted metal but it does have an abundance of sea life around it. The bow and stern sections have crept so far apart due to storms and tides that the captain will tell you not to try following the debris field from whichever end you are on to the other because you won't have enough gas to get back. The Markham is another close-by wreck to the Hyde that lies on its port side. That was done intentionally because it was realized that it was too tall to be sunk upright and would interfere with ship traffic. We were supposed to do it the last time we dove the Hyde but they decided to just do the Hyde twice instead of move. I think they said the currents were too strong on the Markham even though we had no current at the Hyde and they are only a few hundred feet apart.

The Morehead City/Beaufort area is another good place to charter from. The U-352 is a well known German u-boat sunk during WWII that is a war grave memorial and is accessible from this area. I haven't dived it yet, but it is definitely on my list to do, hopefully this year. It is about 110 feet to the sand and usually has lots of sea life around it. Sand Tigers are a common site on most of the NC wrecks.

Water temps from July thru the end emd of September will range from the low 70's to around 80°.

There are simply too many shipwrecks on the NC coast that are fairly easy to dive to list them all.

If the border ever opens, you could head over to Tobermory. The Fathom 5 Marine Park in Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) is home to numerous shipwrecks, many very shallow... Cute little town to visit...

Fathom Five National Marine Park

darn, now I'm hungry for whitefish tacos.....

Bentwood in Florida Keys is an easy wreck dive, not too deep.

Reactions: yle
No one has mentioned The Prince Albert in the channel at 60 feet between CoCo View Resort and Fantasy Island Resort on Roatan. Easiest dive ever.

Any of them from The Outer Banks to the Keys given the current, water temp and vis are amenable. That's a few hundred natural or artificial with conditions potentially less difficult. The Bibb is cool, Navy drydock out of Jax, Peconic off Georgia, Hebe and St. Cathan off S Carolina, Papoose and Bedfordshire off NC were some of my favorites.

The St. Lawrence River is awesome and home to tons of wrecks for a beginner. If you go at the right time of the year the water is 70F. I don't know if that's warm enough.. it's not "Carribean" diving, but it's pretty special in it's own right.

We dove out of Brockville, I'll definitely go back.

I wouldn't call most of the wrecks beginner wrecks. There is a really wicked current on the St. Lawrence, if your not used to diving in current you could get into trouble, a lot of them are deep and the vis has went down in the last few years.

If you get to Panama City FL, most of the dive sites are relatively easy wrecks, but one in particular stands out as being incredibly easy. The Black Bart sit in about 70-75 feet, however there is a platform on the top of the fly bridge at about 55 feet that is often used by instructors for the open water dives for new divers.
divesite_740_7954.jpg

How about all of the shallow wrecks in Tobermory.
No current, clear Canadian water. What else do one need?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom